How accurate is the speed radar that cops use? ?

I just got a speeding ticket way above the speed limit. I'm curious if I can argue about a 2% error. That can occur. Are radars usually calibrated correctly? And does anyone know if there is a good chance prosecutors will take this into consideration at court? (I'm asking bc a 2% will make a difference in the ticket I got and will reduce the fine dramatically)

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Radar the bare minimum before allowed to use .05%

Lida it is .004%.

Nowhere near your 2% error.

• 9 years ago

It is your right to try. They are calibrated by the place they are made. The calibration should be checked by the officer using the radar and how they do this is with tuning forks, two of them. So to say that it doesn't or didn't work for you say that 2% is a hard catch. What will happen then is they will take into account all the stops that officer has made and see if there is any differences in how he stopped them and how he stopped you. Next you will be going against the people who make the radar. No if you have enough money by now spending it on court fees and lawyers you should be able to press on. Like I said it is your right to do so and best of luck to you.

Source(s): School for Law
  • Ano
    Lv 4
    9 years ago

If it was a guessing job it wouldn't have been called a speed radar, so I think your argument seems pretty invalid.

• Geoff
    Lv 4
    9 years ago

most police departments use what is known as lidar so its pretty accurate but it still can give false readings if something happens with the electronics

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

As accurate as they want it to be...

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.