2bit
2bit asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 9 years ago

How would you make these meatballs?

Ground beef

pork sausage

oatmeal

bread crumbs

eggs

what else would you add and how much ingredients would you use?

Favorite Answer

Here is my recipe for meatballs. These are great!

1 ½ pound ground beef

½ pound ground pork

½ cup bread crumbs

¼ cup Parmesan cheese

¼ cup milk

1 tablespoon dried parsley

1 teaspoon onion powder

⅛ teaspoon pepper

⅛ teaspoon salt

2 teaspoons olive oil

Braising liquid (stock, sauce, wine, soup, whatever strikes your fancy)

Combine all the ingredients except oil and liquid in a and mix with your hands. Make golf ball sized meat balls.

Heat the oil on medium. Brown the meatballs on all sides for about 8 minutes. Turn them ¼ time every 2 minutes.

Drain the fat from the pan.

Add enough liquid to the pan to cover the meatballs about 2/3 of the way. Simmer them for about 45 minutes, turning them over at the 20 minute mark. Check the largest meatball to see if it is done. You can also drop the meatballs in sauce or soup and cook them that way.

The last time I made meatballs I used 1 lb. of ground beef, a half cup of dry Italian bread crumbs, 1 egg, very finely chopped onion and a little dried parsley. I made about 15 of them and cooked them on a cookie sheet in the oven for 20 minutes or so at 350 degrees. I wouldn't use pork sausage in meatballs because it's very greasy.

• Rli R

Diced or minced onion

milk

Depending on how many you plan to make would determine the amount of ingredients.

I always use:

1 lb ground beef

1/2 lb ground pork

cracker crumbs

bread crumbs

1 egg

1/4 onion - diced

black pepper

I mix together the beef and pork, add the black pepper, onion and egg and mix well. Then I add the crushed soda crackers (about 4-5 squares) and mix well and then add the bread crumbs to make the correct consistency (sticky but only slightly sticking to your hands).

If I want to make Swedish meatballs, I change out the crackers for bread that I have soaked in milk.

Hope that helps.

I would use bread crumbs or oatmeal but not both. You need to spice it up with some onions, garlic, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper, some worsty sauce.

I saw a recipe today that added chopped bacon and reggiano cheese.

if you want it healthier then use oatmeal and no bred crums or sausage (fatty)

one thing i like doing is adding shredded cheese to my balls :P i like cheddar

use some pepper, i like green jalapenio peppers in there too, little seeds and cut up fine, but thats only if your looking for a little more spice

you need onions, but like dice them up SUPER fine, or grate them into a paste, cooks better that way!

pepper, little salt, little paprika, worcestershire sauce, couple dashes of that.

i cook to cut out fat at carbs as much as i can, so myn have flavour and healthier then the average ball

This is one of the few recipes that has sausage in it:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/appetizer-meatballs/d...

I couldn't find one that had oatmeal in it.

There are so many sites - you might try this one:

http://www.razzledazzlerecipes.com/meatball-recipe...

• liable

1 onion

tomato sauce or paste to suit.

Consider this one. It's from America's Test Kitchen (really really good, however, there are more ingredients to add). Also reduce the recipe in half (this is for 12):

SERVES 12

One cup of plain yogurt thinned with ½ cup milk can be substituted for the buttermilk. Grate the onion on the large holes of a box grater. The ingredients in this recipe can be reduced by two-thirds to serve 4. For instructions on how to cook the pasta in less water, see Lots of Pasta, Less Water (related).

INGREDIENTS

Meatballs

2 1/4cups (about 6 ounces) panko bread crumbs

1 1/2cups buttermilk (see note)

3 large eggs , lightly beaten

2pounds 85 percent lean ground beef

1pound ground pork

6ounces thinly sliced prosciutto , chopped fine

3ounces Parmesan cheese , grated (about 1 1/2 cups)

6tablespoons minced fresh parsley leaves

3 medium garlic cloves , minced or pressed through garlic press (about 1 tablespoon)

1 1/2teaspoons powdered gelatin , dissolved in 3 tablespoons cold water

Table salt and ground black pepper

Sauce

3tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil

1 1/2cups grated onion from 1 to 2 onions (see note)

6 medium garlic cloves , minced or pressed through garlic press (about 2 tablespoons)

1/2teaspoon red pepper flakes

1teaspoon dried oregano

6cups tomato juice (bottled)

3(28-ounce) cans crushed tomatoes

6tablespoons dry white wine

Table salt and ground black pepper

3pounds spaghetti

1/2cup minced fresh basil leaves

3tablespoons minced fresh parsley leaves

Granulated sugar

Parmesan cheese , grated, for serving

INSTRUCTIONS

1. FOR THE MEATBALLS: Place wire racks in 2 foil-lined rimmed baking sheets. Adjust oven racks to lower-middle and upper-middle positions and heat oven to 450 degrees. Combine bread crumbs and buttermilk in large bowl and let sit, mashing occasionally with fork, until smooth paste forms, about 10 minutes.

2. Add eggs, beef, pork, prosciutto, Parmesan, parsley, garlic, gelatin mixture, 11/2 teaspoons salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper to bread-crumb mixture. Using hands, gently mix until thoroughly combined. Lightly form about ¼ cup mixture into 2-inch round meatball (about 2 ounces); repeat with remaining mixture to form approximately 40 meatballs.

3. Spray wire racks with nonstick cooking spray and place meatballs, evenly spaced, on racks; roast until browned, about 30 minutes, rotating trays from front to back and top to bottom halfway through.

4. FOR THE SAUCE: While meatballs roast, heat olive oil in large Dutch oven over medium heat until shimmering. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened and golden around edges, 6 to 8 minutes. Add garlic, red pepper flakes, and oregano; cook, stirring frequently, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in tomato juice, crushed tomatoes, wine, 1½ teaspoons salt, and pepper to taste. Increase heat to medium-high and bring to simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until slightly thickened, about 15 minutes.

5. Remove meatballs from oven and lower oven temperature to 300 degrees. Gently add meatballs to sauce, cover pot, and place in oven. Cook until meatballs are firm and sauce has thickened, about 1 hour.

6. Meanwhile, bring 10 quarts water to boil in 12-quart pot. Add pasta and 2 tablespoons salt to boiling water; cook until al dente. Drain pasta and return it to cooking pot.

7. TO SERVE: Stir basil and parsley into sauce and adjust seasoning with sugar, salt, and pepper. Toss pasta with 1½ cups sauce until lightly coated. Serve pasta, passing meatballs, remaining sauce, and grated Parmesan separately.