Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationOther - Cars & Transportation · 9 years ago

What kind of sensor are camshaft possition sensors?

I suppose that different cars have used different kinds. But generally speaking I would guess that they are hall effect sensors. Is this true? Are they normally absolute or incremental? If they are absolute do they normally use a grey scale? If they are incremental how does the micro-controller know which way it is pointing? I'm asking these questions with the aim of making my own digital ignition system.

2 Answers

  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

    Some are Hall effect, some are induction, and some are optical and use painted stripes on a clear wheel. Hall effect and induction are the most popular. For all of them the trailing edge is used for sensing. That makes the location more precise; regardless of when or how much the signal builds up, the instant it starts back down the controller says that's it.

    Source(s): 35 years maintaining my own cars, 45 years in electronics
  • 9 years ago

    they are hall effect sensors that is as far as I can answer that question. I have no idea what you are talking about but if you take into account that camshaft sensors usually work in tandem with the crank or tranny sensor that would give location. like i said WAY over my head...ha ha ha

    Source(s): Mechanic. I see cam and crank sensors labeled as hall effect sensors.
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.