trx bandit asked in PetsFish · 9 years ago

can i use play sand in my saltwater aquarium?

ok so i got a 60gal saltwater aquarium and i have 20lbs of live sand can i use play sand completly or mix it with live sand and play sand i heard of many things in many threads right now i would like answers so if theres anybody out there that could help i would appreciate it i live in los angeles if any body know places that sells cheap sand im flat out broke!!!

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Dan M
    Lv 7
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Play sand will contain silica and phosphates that play havoc with your salt tank. Go to the beach and get some sand in your shoes. Wash it in tap water and add it to the tank each time you come back. You can't just fill up your cooler with beach sand. You might even get a fine if you tried.

If you have to buy something cheap that works, go to a farm supply store, not something you will find in LA proper. Buy a 50# or 100# bag of crushed oyster shell. Rinse it out good because there will be bits of mangrove root mixed with the crushed shell. It is slightly larger than sand but is a good substitute and it does buffer the saltwater as effectively as aragonite live sand.

The salt water hobby is basically for people with money. A marine tank is a pit you throw money into constantly.

The sand should not be in the main tank unless you have an automatic electrical generator as a back up. It goes anaerobic when the power goes off so it should be in a separate refugium which limits the total disaster part to that one segment of the system. As soon as the power goes off, unplug everything that does not have a back up power source. That way if the sand has gone south you can dump it before restarting the refugium.

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

Saltwater Aquarium Sand

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

can i use play sand in my saltwater aquarium?

ok so i got a 60gal saltwater aquarium and i have 20lbs of live sand can i use play sand completly or mix it with live sand and play sand i heard of many things in many threads right now i would like answers so if theres anybody out there that could help i would appreciate it i live in los angeles...

Source(s): play sand saltwater aquarium: https://tr.im/9nXxE
  • 9 years ago

Sure if you want to kill your fish and other living things in the tank.. it's nothing more then tiny glass beads and will scrape your poor fishes gills. As another pointed out, you'd be better off with beach sand. Live sand bought at the store truly is better though because beach sand can contain desease or parasites more so then live sand. Also other unpleasant surprises such as harmful mites or worms and parasites. sandworms can deliver a pretty painful bite(found on the beaches), bristle worms suck as they have tiny irritating bristles that stick in your skin when touched and cause a horrible painful swelling. Saltwater tanks are an expensive hobby and require constant maintanece. best to stick with tropicals,gold fish or a betta. NEVER use play sand for any living creature.. it's harmful.

Source(s): Raising saltwater and frshwater fish for 8 yrs
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

You would need to check that nothing has been added to the sand that will be bad to the aquarium and make sure that you rinse it really well. As far as where to buy it, home improvement stores usually sell it. A trick for rinsing it is to put it in an old pillowcase you don't care for. I used that trick when rinsing out the granite based chicken grit I use in my tanks.

I personally think it is quite the racket going on with the price of aquarium substrate.

• 4 years ago

Best Sand For Reef Tank

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

Yes, play sand is perfect. Be sure to thoroughly rinse it before adding it to your tank though, or you will have permanently cloudy water. Turn off your filter and remove all your fish, at this point, pour the sand in and distribute it as you like. Play sand is inert, so it will not affect your water parameters like coral sand would. Do not add your fish back in or turn the filter on until the sand has settled. To prevent the anaerobic bacteria from creating harmful gasses in your sand, you have to rake the sand every time you change the water. Email me if you have any questions. Nosoop4u

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

The thing about "Play sand" is that you don't know what it actually is.

It's just "sand", dug from some local quarry. Perfectly safe for kids to dig in and eat etc. But exactly what it will do to the water chemistry of your tank is unknown. Your play sand may be VERY different to what my local shop sells.

It may be totally safe, or it may cause problems.. no way for us to know.

Ian

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

sand from the beach is better. wash the sand from the beach and sun it then it good to go

• Anonymous
    6 years ago

very confusing subject. research at yahoo or google. that will might help!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.