Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureHolidaysRamadan · 8 years ago

Authentic Hebrew Translation needed to English?

Authentic Hebrew Translation needed to English?

16 ḥikwō maməṯaqqîm wəḵullwō maḥămadîm zeh ḏwōḏî wəzeh rē‘î bənwōṯ yərûšālāim

Update:

@Sheynein: Thanks for responding.

maḥămadîm - Lovely Ok thanks, By the way Every Name has a Meaning you have to accept this. Such as Jesus - Saviour or Saved.

So you mean Lovely in Hebrew means Mahamad that says it all. No need to prove anything here

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Best Answer

The word there in Solomon is pronounced MACH' mad-eem is how that is pronounced with that same gutteral rolling ch sound as in the German " achtung!" or how one says Chanukkah...not Mahammed or Muhammed or Mohammed.

חִכּוֹ, מַמְתַקִּים, וְכֻלּוֹ, מַחֲמַדִּים; זֶה דוֹדִי וְזֶה רֵעִי, בְּנוֹת יְרוּשָׁלִָם.

Hikko mamtakim ve'khulo machamadim zeh dodi ve'ze re'ee b'not yerushalaim And it refers to being lovely and desirable. The bride is speaking to her bridegroom and it is talking about Solomon himself, not about Mohammed.

5:10-6:3 (starting with "my lover" or "my beloved") it is the bride is speaking of her groom, King Solomon, the greatest lady's man of her day. She is not a prophet, or speaking about someone who will live 1600 years later!

The word machmad means something pleasant or desirable, like cheesecake or her LOVER

the word Muhammad is actually a proper noun and it means "he who is praised"

The Hebrew suffix IM pronounced EEM..is used to denote plurality or importance..clearly she was saying VERY or WHOLLY lovely and desirable.

The ROOTs of Arabic and Hebrew words often gives clue as to core meaning..

The consonant root of the Hebrew is m-ch-m, meaning pleasant, desire, beloved...

The consonant root of the Arabic is h-m-d, meaning praise

In other words, they are 2 different words, two different meanings, two different usages

This is the English : 16. His palate is sweet, and he is altogether desirable; this is my beloved, and this is my friend, O daughters of Jerusalem."

*Sephardic* pronunciation does have a slight syllable break rendering their pronunciation as ma cha ma-DIM. Emphasis still on the dim(deem); this slight difference between the *Ashkenazi* pronunciation I was accustomed to hearing and the Sephardic pronunciation does not alter the root word, letters, or meaning of the word. Nor does it change the contextual use of the word. To claim it refers to Mohammed is still utterly contrived. מַחֲמַדִּים is shown with the vowel cantillation. That little DASH under that first MEM is pronounced AH, to give us ma and the next letter is a chet, .ma cha ma deem ... macha ma dim..is the Sephardic pronunciation.

mach'mad = desirable, lovable

mach'madim =wholly or entirely desirable or lovable

Mohammed still isn't in there and that simply can't be changed. The song is describing Solomon. The context is crystal clear. Read it sometime and you'll see that.

Now the following thanks to ChallahG:

The Person is referred to as mam-ta-kim (like candy) and ma-kha-ma-dim (lovely).

OK then, Psalm 11:5 states

יְהוָה, צַדִּיק יִבְחָן: וְרָשָׁע, וְאֹהֵב חָמָס--שָׂנְאָה נַפְשׁוֹ.

Hashem tests the righteous: but the wicked, those that love KHA-MAS, His soul hates.

(So, by your misuse of the language):

If

מַחֲמַדִּים = ma-kha-ma-dim = Mohammed

then

חָמָס = kha-mas = Hamas

G-d must hate anyone who supports the modern day political faction, Hamas. NOW you are informed.

You're welcome.

• 8 years ago

It's the Song of Solomon, "Song of Songs" chapter 5 verse 16:

חִכּוֹ, מַמְתַקִּים, וְכֻלּוֹ, מַחֲמַדִּים; זֶה דוֹדִי וְזֶה רֵעִי, בְּנוֹת יְרוּשָׁלִָם

His mouth is most sweet; he is altogether lovely. This is my beloved, and this is my friend, O daughters of Jerusalem.

Sorry, but מַחֲמַדִּים means " lovely (plural)" and is not a reference to Mohammed.

Source(s): Me, former Hebrew school teacher. Reading TaNaKh in Hebrew since 1955
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.