Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 8 years ago

Should i get rid of my dog? help i need your opinion!?

i am 16 and live with my mom dad and 2 sisters. we have 1 cat 2 rabbits and 4 dogs, one dog that we found over summer and nobody has claimed him yet. I have been taking care of him and hes really attached, he wont leave my side. sometimes it gets annoying but i love him.now that its been a little over 3 months that we've had him. my mom thought it might be better if we gave him away. i mean i thought about it but i cant picture him (the dog) or me being okay with that. we have bought him a collar, a dog tag, leash,toys, and a life jacket for the boat and jet skis. if we keep him i would have to pay $60 to get him fixed (my mom doesn't want him to get out and get another dog pregnant) which i have no problem paying. would you consider him our dog yet? we have tried VERY hard to find his owners from posters to ads online and in the paper to even paying to see if he a chip. we think someone may have dumped him here. but please give me your advise! theres some pictures of him:

http://www.google.com/search?gcx=w&q=%5B…

Best Answer

While my opinion may not be popular, would you get rid of a child? No?

Exactly. You should treat your animals with responsibility. If he's already really attached, the emotional strain on the dog will be terrible for him to endure upon going your different ways. You have already allowed him to get attached and he isn't expecting removal. Sixty dollars to get him neutered? Lucky. The vets down here charge a hundred plus. Anyways, I say keep him. Three months is a lot of bonding with dogs - as a breeder, if my pups don't sell before they hit six months, I usually stop trying to sell them as they become close to the person feeding them (me!) and just keep 'em around. They make great company. So yes. Please just keep the dog, don't put him - or you - through all of that trouble.

Source(s): Personal experiences.

The dog and you don't need the stress of separation. Bonds with pets are simular to bonds that a parent makes with a child. Having as many animals as you do is not a valid reason to get rid of him.

What are the chances that you know that he will go to a good home where he won't be abused or neglected? Are you kidding me $60 is a great deal, what are you complaining about. You've already kept him this long, it's obvious that his owners dumped him.

From what you've described it sounds like your dog really loves you. Think about if one of your best friends left you forever. You would be depressed, right? Honestly, I would keep him. $60 to be neutered isn't bad AT ALL, so I would definitely do that.

HOWEVER, if you MUST get rid of the dog, I would do it now. You've only had him for 3 months. Best to get rid of him now than maybe a year or so down the road when he's even more attached.

I think that since you already have four dogs you'd probably be fine having another dog with you. You have a big family who would be able to give the dog all the attention that is needed for a healthy dog and you're agreeing to get him neutered. He is already following you around, which is in my opinion, a sign of trust. I think that you would make a great pet owner for him and he would have a great life, especially with all the other animals around for mental stimulation. I think it all falls down to you and to whether or not you will have the right time and patience for another dog? I personally think you can do it!

Hope this helps!

my family rescued a pitbull here in the Bronx and he was in pretty bad shape. I spent my entire check on him taking him to the vet to make sure he was ok. Hes been with us for a year and I couldnt imagine having a different dog. Hes been with you for 3 months and he has become attached because he knows you saved him. Pay the 60 and get him neutered. There are some places that will even do it for free. Good luck and keep the pup hun

My opinion is I don't think you should get rid of your dog if you're really attached to him and love him. But if your family says you have to then maybe it's a good time to start training him to be a little way from you. But still care for him. You could give him to a friend or a neighbor so you can see him everyday. And in you link I couldn't see anything.

Poodles are very hard to train they are a hard breed, cocker spaniels are usually the same.. I had a poodle he did all the same things to my house till 3 years later i couldnt take it my house smelled so bad n my cats smelled it n started doin the same.. They thought it was good, cause the dog did it.. i tried training him n got a trainer.. nothing worked so i had to take him to the human society, but luckily he got a home in less then 30 min.. If i were you i would try to train him first to see if anything changes.. Good Luck

good night i think it's a really nice thing what you and your family is doing for that dog but if you don't want him to mate with your dogs you know what you have to do take him to get fixed but to get rid of him he is going to miss you guys every year my mom shelter 1 or 2 stray dogs some times we find the owner some times we don't but we keep them and take care of them and give it to one of our friends my advise will be to keep him because he love you so much and i love animals and never want to hurt they feeling but it's still up to you ok bye enjoy your night

no! that dog is your family!!! he has bonded with you! you dont wanna do that to him!! think of how sad and depressed that dog will be?!?!?! there are only few good pet owners like you, that take care of their pets, who knows if the person that buys em will be a good owner?!?! he could abuse that dog for all that you know!!! you have given that dog a great home, dont take it away ;( however if you MUST MUST MUST give him away, please meet the person you are givin the dog to, make sure they have a house that is compatible for dogs! make sure you are POSITIVE that they will take good care of your dog!!!

If you can afford him and it's legal to have that many dogs keep him, he sounds like he's yours if you're that attached to him :3