Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 9 years ago

Someone invites you to dinner, all the while emphasising you don't have to come, there's no obligation, etc...?

Does it suggest that they are only asking you out of courtesy, and do not really wish for you to come? This is a colleague of mine that I've never particularly been chummy with.

Hypothetically speaking, would you go or not?

We are friendly, just not that close.

Favorite Answer

They're just "doing the right thing" by inviting you but they don't really want you to come. I wouldn't go if I were you, I have my pride. Just say no thank you. Don't even lie about having other plans. Just let them know politely that you don't want to go. "No thank you"

The fact that they asked at all would tell me that yes, they would like you to accept the invitation but that perhaps because you don't know each other well, they may not want you to feel awkward. I would go just out of courtesy. Hopefully there will be others there that you know or you may make some new friends. Your colleague may be much more relaxed and social outside of work. It might be a nice experience.

Well... I don't necessarily think they're asking just out of courtesy, but I likely wouldn't go myself if I've never been friendly with them and don't want to be anything more than a colleague.

I would think that if you are friendly, but not especially close they probably want you to come but don't want you to feel pressured into coming if you don't feel comfortable enough with them yet.

I would go, unless I really didn't like them.

it is either he is nervous that you will say no because you feel he wants to be more that just friends, or he was told to invite you and does nor wnt you to come, or asked you and now wants to recant the invite. if it is just you and him, then i would go with him being nervous, and he wants to see if you can be more that friends

Don't go. Or just stop by and make a quick appearance. It seems iffy.

I would not go out of self-respect..