Can a typeface be stretched or modify to you liking?

I'd like to make a logo and I don't want to be similar to other typefaces so I was wondering If a typeface like helvetica, or gill sans and many others can be modify to your liking to make it more original . Sometime I feel insecure in case I breack the law ...

does anyone know anything about that? many thanks for your help

Favorite Answer

Sure, with the right kind of software and the skills to use it.

Illustrator

Photoshop

CorelDRAW

and many others.

I do it all the time to make text blocks fit specific shapes, to show perspective, to create drop shados and other 3D effects.

Source(s): Designer, Illustrator and Desktop Publisher for almost 35 years http://vincem-answers.blogspot.com/
  • Tim D

The only law you will break is the one binding all typographers to not torture typefaces.

You have bought a licence when you purchased the typeface (even if it was bundled with the operating system), that will contain the details of what you can use the typeface for (search EULA on your computer). As a general answer you may stretch or modify your typeface but do not be surprised if the result offends the eye of some designers.