Bree Smithy asked in PetsDogs · 9 years ago

how do i get my dog to stop licking his.....You know?

He just got De sexed and micro chipped and 2 of his teeth out and when we got home i put him in his bed and he slept for 5Min's and then started licking his wound and when i told him No he would keep doing it and at one point he growled at me.

How can i get him to stop licking his wounds?????

Favorite Answer

He needs an E-collar or Buster collar to keep him from licking. It is most important he not lick as he may remove the sutures, and than the wound will have to be sutured again. Not a good thing.

Your vet should have mentioned a "collar" to you. Possibly the Emergency clinic can sell you one tonight.

Good luck!

• Amber

Go back to the vet and buy a cone, they only cost $15. This will stop him from licking his wound. If his wound opens up he will get infections and then you WILL be going back to the vet to pay much more than $15, your choice.

• bizzy

Usually after a dog is neutered they're required to wear a cone for a bit so that their wounds can heal and so that the dog doesn't lick his own wounds (can cause infection). If his wounds aren't healed yet then use a cone. If they're healed already then it's fine that he licks himself I think.

It's OK for the dog to lick himself, as his saliva has some sort of disinfectant. BUT if he still has stitches in then he will pull them out. You need a cone or an E Collar.

Much as I've never had success with them, he needs an E-collar as it's VITAL he stays away from the incision if it stands any chance of healing. Otherwise he'll drag the stitches out and he'll need re-stitching. Get straight onto the vet - now (who should have given you a collar!!) and ask for one.

That is normal , if he should not lick himself ask for a e-collar from the vet until he is all healed.

He needs the bucket collar (E collar). It really annoys me when vets don't automatically give these. They are just pieces of plastic for goodness sake and should be included in the fee - not charged as an extra. I had to buy one for my girl, but as much as it annoyed me to pay extra - It was worth it.

If I dog gets hurt in the wild he would lick it because the saliva has natural anti bacterial properties. You shouldn't worry about it, he's just trying to heal.

That is a dogs way of nursing or dressing their wounds the dog will be fine, its Biblical that dogs have something in their saliva that can disinfect. Look it up no lie.

Elisabethan collar - from the vet or any pet store