Foot Numbness and pain help/experience/advice please?

For the past 3 months or so I have been getting numbness/pain in my right foot. It began with numbness on the top of the foot round the 3rd/4th metatarsals and then progressed to pain, this then improved but my 5th metatarsal tendon then became inflammed and painful, now this has subsided but the numbness has come back and is now under the foot/toes as well! I am wondering what this is and how to fix it! There is no swelling but my 3rd and 4th metatarsals heads may have dropped slightly. I am a keen runner/triathlete and have reluctantly backed off training but it hasn't really helped, have been seeing a physio too. Has anyone else had a similar experience and if so how did you treat it?

Thanks

Favorite Answer

I used to get foot numbness too. I've since been fitted with orthotics (www.formthtics.com) which have helped a lot. Also my spin class instructor said the Specialised cycle shoes have a special orthotic type insole in them which helps spread your toes correctly in the shoe. You could try looking at the Specialised shoes or othotics and also have a proper bike setup done. Not sure where you are but if you are in NZ I could help you out with one of the best bike setup guys.

Source(s): www.debihazelden.co.nz

G, there are a few things that come to mind. The best answer for all of this is to see a podiatrist. You may need custom orthotics. Since you know that the metatarsals have dropped it could be one of the problems. Another possible one is that you have a Morton's neuroma. That is where the nerve develops a swelling. This usually occurs between the 2nd and 3rd interspaces but it can also occur where you have stated. As for the tendon inflammation it may have been the result of alteration of foot placement during your gait cycle. The physical therapy may help if it is a muscular problem but if it is structural then you are going to need a podiatrist.

Source(s): physical therapist