Are there any laws for the lunch area at work?

My dad works at Pacific Steel Casting Company and he says the "lunch area " provided for the employees is horrible. He says it is very old and that most workers have to end up buying fast-food because there is nowhere to store their homemade lunches. I just want to know is there anything my dad can do about this. thanks

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Is he in a Union? He can report bad working conditions to the Union who can negotiate changes.

• Lacey
    Lv 5
    9 years ago

Not really. The only laws concerning employee meal breaks have to do with them being allowed to take them and regarding how long the breaks be for different types of situations.

Like the other guy said, if your dad belongs to a union they can try to negotiate with the company for a better break room and a fridge or something.

If your dad isn't in a union, he and the other employees can still talk to management about the issue. They just have to try it and see.

• Judy
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

There's no legal requirement for an employer to provide a lunch area or to update it.

With employer permission, maybe your dad and his coworkers could pitch in and buy a used refrigerator.

• 9 years ago

Thou shant start a foodfight... unless they're serving cream pies!

Source(s): experience
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • MrsM
    Lv 4
    9 years ago

You're a thoughtful son to ask :) No, sweetie....unfortunately he's stuck with his crappy lunch situation.

• 9 years ago

There is no law stating they must have somewhere to store their food, no.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.