jlb asked in HealthWomen's Health · 9 years ago

Do tampons give you cramps? They give me cramps and I hate when women dismiss it.?

When young girls mention that they get cramps from tampons they are really experiencing it. I'm not a young girl. I'm actually almost into menopause but I am seeing this trend developing where other women act like it's some kind of myth that tampons can cause cramps. I discovered this from my own experiences and we shouldn't lie to young women. I'm sure it doesn't happen to every user of tampons but just insisting it's some kind of myth or that it doesn't happen invalidates experiences.

Again...I'm sure it does not happen with all women. But I get all out cramps...debilitating cramps from tampons, especially if I attempt to use them on the first or second day. It is not in my head. I'm very old. I know my own ****. And I know for a fact that if I use a tampon too early, I get cramps that go all the way up my abdomen if I use tampons day 1 and/or day 2. This really happens. I know it doesn't happen to everybody. But what the heck is soo wrong with taking the tampon out and experiencing relief with a few minutes. It's narcissistic to assume that everyone experiences what you, yourself, do. All I know is, I'm so glad I figured out that taking out a tampon gives me relief and I don't mind sharing what I've discovered just in case there might be one other female out there that shares such an experience.

Perhaps this only happens with women with a "tipped womb"...DON'T KNOW...all I know is..I DON'T have to take pain pills because taking the stupid thing out on day one and/or day two works like a charm.

Favorite Answer

I believe they do cause discomfort depending on the position in to the vagina which could give out a lot of pain if not corrected. Maybe if you have a smaller then normal vagina, a normal sized tampon can cause the same pains.

Menstrual cramps are caused by contractions in the uterus, which is a muscle. The uterus, the hollow, pear-shaped organ where a baby grows, contracts throughout a woman's menstrual cycle. If the uterus contracts too strongly, it can press against nearby blood vessels, cutting off the supply of oxygen to the muscle tissue of the uterus. Pain results when part of a muscle briefly loses its supply of oxygen.- WebMD

So based on this, not likely tampons being the culprit.

They give me worse cramps and I know it has to be the tampon because when I take it out I get relieve. It seems like every time I am cramping worse so I remove the tampon, big clots always come out after I take it out. I think it has something to do with how heavy your flow is, but I m no doctor. I am however 40 years old and have had my period since I was 13 so I m not by any means new to this.

• Alex

I've heard of that happening, but I've never had any issues with it personally. I think I have about the same amount of cramps whether I'm wearing a pad or a tampon. I agree that it may be something that happens to women with tilted uteruses. If this is an issue for someone, they should be smart enough to figure out that taking their tampon out will help, but honestly as someone who has a heavy flow, I'd be willing to put up with a few more cramps in exchange for the convenience of tampons.

I have a definite reaction to tampons. For me, I wouldn't describe it as cramps, but if you don't have the vocabulary, it would fit. If you think about all the muscles and so forth a tampon moves around, some sort of reaction is going to happen. As far as I'm concerned, it isn't a myth.

I have noticed my cramps are worse with tampons. But I hate wearing pads the first couple of days if I'm at work so that extra pain is worth the clean feeling.

They make mine worse and make my back ache. I also am over 40 and this had ALWAYS been the case,

Yes

They don't.

Source(s): You're interesting :)