Update:

I think fear causes people to lie.

20 Answers

Relevance
  • ?
    Lv 7
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

"Man is an animal that lies." (Ouspensky)

• Raja
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

People lie for various reasons. Some people won't tell their personal matters even to their close friends. When their friends ask about it they don't want to answer "mind your business" as if slapping on their cheek. That's why they lie. Sometimes to save the good from bad they lie. Everyone cannot be frank with all. You should not bother about it. Take what's necessary to you and leave the rest. If anyone say anything keep it in the stage SAID. Don't go beyond it until you get solid proof.

• akvdr
    Lv 5
    9 years ago

fear dies cause people to lie. It starts as a little child . we are born that way . The best way to stop it is to tell our children that If they tell the truth they will not be punished. If a child is punished all the time they will lie about almost everything in life.

• 9 years ago

Sometimes people lie on accident (the most common way I lie) by not saying everything that you are thinking at all times. Lying is not telling the truth and when you don't say everything on your mind you are not telling the truth.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

There are probably over a thousand different answers to this question. I've written a five page essay on this whole topic before.

To make it short, though, people lie for a number of different reasons:

- to save their own skin

- to make something sound impressive, to distort facts

- to avoid hurting others

- to protect others, to protect their own feelings

- to cover up their past or their mistakes

- to make themselves or someone else feel better

The list goes on, but lies aren't exactly always a bad thing. It's more like a tool, but most people tend to use them for their own ends, which is why we label lies as an immoral thing for someone to do.

• 7 years ago

There are many ways people lie, for my own opium people lie to get out of trouble, and also to get what the what example, looking for job, you may lie that you have experience for the job for them to hire you, why you don't.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

I don't know why people lie but I know why I lie. I lie to avoid hurting peoples feelings.If a friend tells me she thinks she is fat I will tell her it is just bloating or something. I don't want anyone feeling bad about themselves and so I guess I just try to put positive spins on things.

• 9 years ago

Ultimately, people lie for one of two reasons: To keep things from changing, or -on the opposite side of the coin- to make things change.

• 9 years ago

Many reasons. The only one I find justifiable is if in the long run, the lie allows good things to happen.

When I lie, it is to hide things I want to keep secret about myself.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Personaly i think people lie to make them selves feel good or because they are scared of what the truth will bring

• I lie because I am a fool.. No GOOD excuse on that..

Just Sorry.

Good luck..!!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.