Could being treated for depression with a fibromyalgia drug (Savella) have actually given me fibromyalgia?

I have tried almost every antidepressant under the sun. None have worked or have had adverse side effects that I couldn't deal with. My Dr. put me on Cymbalta (which made me a walking zombie). I stopped taking that and he put me on Savella (to treat depression). It worked wonders for my depression but about 3 weeks in I started hurting all over. At first, I thought I was getting the flu. I noticed the more I took Savella, the worse the pain became. I began to wonder if they were connected.

I weaned myself off Savella and here I am, 3 1/2 months later with daily chronic body pain that I had never experienced previously. I have tried researching on the net to see if it has caused any problems for anyone else but have come across nothing similar thus far.

My Dr. says it sounds like I have fibromyalgia but says the Savella couldn't have caused it. I think it's strange that I didn't have it until AFTER I took the Savella. I have seen a neurologist and she had bloodwork done (yet to receive results) and scheduled a sleep study (she thinks I have sleep apnea) and also referred me to a rheumatologist. Here I sit, 3 months later after having only took a handful of Rx pain pills in my life (after 2 childbirths, car accidents, broken bones, etc.) and I've taken 90 lortabs and 120 tramadols (that my Dr. prescribed me) and I've never been the type for pain medicine but this pain is intense. The pain pills barely knock the edge off but I am scared to move to something stronger because I already take Prozac and Xanax (for depression and panic/anxiety attacks) and am wary of interactions. I am also on hormone replacement therapy for hypothyroidism. Any advice, similar experiences, or words of encouragement would be nice. Thanks

• mysti

Hi there...well, I'm a little confused as to why you were rx'd Savella in the first place. I'm not a doctor, so this is only my opinions (I am a nurse and have done some research, as I have fibromyalgia). Are you in the US? Savella is not approved by the FDA for the treatment of depression in the US, but it is in some other countries. It is a SNRI-type anti-depressant so, technically your dr. may be prescribing it off-label for depression. In the US, it is prescribed only for fibromyalgia. I don't see how it could have GIVEN you fibro, since it is known to be quite effective in relieving symptoms of fibro.

Although the timing of 3 wks when the flu-like symptoms started seems suspicious, it actually may be merely coincidental. I really think you must have something else going on. I doubt fibromyalgia, since Savella is supposed to help with that. I think it's a good idea that you have been referred to a rheumatologist, as they can diagnose a multitude of inflammatory and auto-immune conditions, including rheumatoid arthritis, lupus and fibromyalgia.

I'm really sorry you are dealing with this. It's really frustrating to feel awful and not have a name to go with it. I've gone through that ordeal for many years. So I think it sounds like your medical team is doing things right. Good luck to you and I really hope you find out what's going on here and feel better soon.

Source(s): nurse personal experience

about 5 years ago, I started to fall into a really depressive episode. At first I thought it was only because I had a bad break from a relationship but the feelings wouldn't go away even after I got a new girlfriend. It was wrecking my life until a point where it was seriously affecting my work and personal life.

She was very worried but at the same time couldn't understand why I was still sad and thought that I still couldn't let go of my previous relationship. Being the wonderful person that she is, she put aside her feelings and suggested I go for psychiatric evaluation. Many months later and even more anti-depressants, I was not coming close to being better at all.

After doing some research online, I found out the real cause as you described it really makes a lot of sense and purchased this program. The results were simply astonishing. I read this book over three times and put all words in action. Using this method, I've kept my depression at bay ever since. Up to date I'm still living happily with my girlfriend.

Depression Free Method?

• Mr E

the answer is yes. had enough of medical mickey mouse stupidity? well, when you have, you might try correcting the cause, which is nerve interference to your thyroid. see an hio method chiropractor.