Need career advice from Network Administrator professionals?

I am posting this question in seek of some advice regarding a career as a Network Administrator. I am considering returning to school to study this path, and I am trying to gather some insight about this career. When I review job postings for this career, it seems like there are different networks out there to specialize in. I'd like to set my course of study on the right path by specializing in an area of high demand. If there are any Network Administrators reading this, I would appreciate any advice such as pros and cons of the field. I'd love to hear some day in the life stories. What would any of you do different if you could start over from day one? I really want to make sure I start off studying the right technologies, so I don't come out of school having just studied a networking type that is dropping in popularity per say. Also, what can I do now to break into the business while I am studying and learning. Listed some big questions here, but I basically just need some direction to start off right. The more details the better. Thanks for any advice.

my advice for you would be go to a technical training facility, not a four year college, it's a waste of time for an IT professional. This is a technical job, get professional certifications and take an entry level job and work hard, volunteer for after hours tasks etc. and work your way up through the organization.

best of luck!

Source(s): 11 years in the biz...