Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 9 years ago

My dog might have drunk antifreeze!!?!?

He is acting sort of 'drunk like', he is moving his head around and wont stop,he won't eat or lay down. He just started an hour ago and I can't go to the vet because they charge 200$-300 up front to check him out after closing time and I don't have money for that. I'm afraid to wait until morning because it might be too late. Is there ANY suggestions on how to help him????

Update:

I live in a small town and called all the vet offices around, they all charge up front before they can check him out, which is a lot of money.

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Shae
    Lv 7
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

    Emergency veterinarian now!! Most cities have 24/7 clinics. For the sake of the dog GO!!!

    Also, if you don't have the money now, you can arrange to make monthly payments!

    Treatment

    For immediate first aid, and only if you are positive that your dog has ingested antifreeze , try to induce vomiting by giving your dog a simple hydrogen peroxide solution -- one teaspoon per five pounds of body weight, with no more than three teaspoons given at once. This method should only be used if the toxin has been ingested in the previous two hours, and should only be given three times, spaced apart at 10-minute intervals. If your pet has not vomited after the third dose, stop giving it the hydrogen peroxide solution and seek immediate veterinary attention.

    You may want to call your veterinarian before trying to induce vomiting, since it can be dangerous with some toxins; some poisons will do more harm coming back through the esophagus than they did going down. Do not use anything stronger than hydrogen peroxide without your veterinarian's assent, and do not induce vomiting unless you are absolutely sure of what your dog has ingested. Also, if your pet has already vomited, do not try to force more vomiting.

    A final word, do not induce vomiting if your dog is unconscious, is having trouble breathing, or is exhibiting signs of serious distress or shock. Whether your pet vomits or not, after the initial care, you must rush it to a veterinary facility immediately. Your veterinarian will be able to safely administer antidotes to the poison, such as activated charcoal to prevent further absorption of the toxin, and 4-methylpyrazole, which can treat antifreeze poisoning very effectively if given shortly after the consumption of antifreeze. Your dog may need to be held in intensive care to prevent kidney failure.

    Please tell me how things turn out. Shaek29@yahoo.com

    Source(s): If you don't act, he will die. :( Make him vomit a lot!
  • Dagmar
    Lv 4
    9 years ago

    Your dog needs to see a vet ASAP or he will suffer from irreversible kidney failure! Early detection is crucial and he needs fluid therapy immediately. You could just get him to the vet in time, if you leave NOW! You only have 4-6 hours max.

    After about 12 hours the symptoms will resolve and you may think he has recovered, but then renal failure will start after 24-48 hours.

    Vets are happy to talk about a payment plan and there are funds available for vet emergencies.

    Dagmar

    freehomemadedogfoodrecipes.com

  • 9 years ago

    I have never heard of any Vet charging $300 for a emergency visit. But it may be different where you live. None the less, get rid of the anti freeze and take him to the vet, or you won't have to ever worry about another vet bill again. Suggest a payment plan if you can't afford it. Please, next time be more responsible with poisonous items that your dog or any animal can get ahold of. Best of luck.

  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

    It sounds to me like he did drink it, and if that is the case, it's a time bomb ticking inside him....literally! It will kill him if he is not seen right away by the vet, not many dogs make it back from antifreeze poisoning and yes, it is a poison!!! Their bodies cannot metabolize it. I'm not trying to be mean, but if you want to save your dog, he needs to go to the vet NOW...RIGHT NOW!!!!! If you can't get him there, I have heard of people giving dogs peroxide, a tablespoon at a time until it throws up, but I wouldn't recommended it.

    Source(s): Vet Tech courses
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

    If he drank anti freeze he will die soon unless he gets to vet asap. Animals, pets like the taste of it since it is sweet tasting, but when ingested it forms tiny crystals in the blood and kidneys and ultimately kidney and other organ failures occur very quickly, heart to. I would get him to the vet, they can work out a payment plan for you since it is an emergency. If you can't get to an emergency vet then I am sorry.

  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

    No vets on YA. NO home remedies for anti-freeze. Of course the vets charge up front, nothing is free nowadays.

    Anti-Freeze is the worst a dog/cat can drink. Please take him to the vets immediately, if you don't he will not survive the night.

  • 9 years ago

    The only thing is a vet or he will be dead by moring if he drank some antifreeze sorry

  • 4 years ago

    1

    Source(s): Remedies for Kidney http://teres.info/KidneyHealth/?K2H7
  • 9 years ago

    animals and insect love antifreeze, but it is poison to them. it is very dangourus because they will try to get to it, but it will kill them if they get any of it. call a vet asap and tell them what happened. it probably happens a lot because they like it so much

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.