Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelAir Travel · 9 years ago

Being and becoming a flight attendant?

are you a flight attendant or do you know one? if so could you tell me some stuff because I am interested in becoming one (from Canada) after high school. Could you tell me about what education you need? Also it their height and weight requirements? I'm 5 feet 9 inches. What sort of outfit do you wear (ladies). Is bilingual a necessity? I only have up to grade 10 academic French, and I speak English. Do you enjoy the job. Please tell me anything that you wish you had known before you started the job, both good and bad.

Favorite Answer

Most airlines will train you as part of their hiring process, so prior training is not required, nor is it even recognized. Even if an airline requires you to go to training before you are hired, they will direct you to their approved training facility. You are best served by simply applying with the airlines you want to work for, and meet their citizenship or residency requirements.

To be a Flight Attendant, you need to be at least 18 years of age, and a high school graduate. Any public contact work experience- even if it's working at a burger joint- is also beneficial. Other things that can improve your chances are college education, or foreign language skills.

Height requirements range between 5' and 6'. The reason for the height requirements are to ensure you are tall enough to reach the emergency equipment in the overhead bins, and not so tall to hit your head on the ceiling.

To see who is hiring in the US and Canada, go to www.FlightAttendantCareeerGuide.com/jobs.cfm. Just scroll down to where the aviation links start.

You can find more information on the Flight Attendant career (most of which is too long to post here) on my blog at http://flightattendantcareer.blogspot.com/

Source(s): Tim Kirkwood, Author THE FLIGHT ATTENDANT JOB FINDER & CAREER GUIDE www.crew4jets.com

When you go to an information session for an airline, they will tell you that you will have to relocate, and that you will be on reserve for a long time, during which you will have no life. This is all true.

You must be flexible, friendly and polite and a team player and must be able to work long hours.

What sort of outfit do you wear? If you mean to the interview, you should wear something that looks professional and well groomed. I recommend a dark suit (skirt or pants) and a white blouse.

Conservative hair, nails and jewelry.

If you mean what sort of outfit do you wear while flying, that would be whatever uniform the airline requires.

Just as for any employer: go on the website of an airline you are interested in working for, and click on careers or employment to find the qualifications and if they are accepting applications.

A good website is http://www.flightattendantcareer.com/

On that site is a list of the airlines currently accepting applications and a lot of information about the job.

Any airline that hires you will put you through extensive training. You do not need to get any training beforehand, but a good customer service background and at least a couple of years of work experience would give you an advantage.

Job qualifications:

Some airlines require college courses or a degree, but most just require a high school education.

Usually the minimum age is 21. Some smaller regional airlines hire at 19 or 20.

Customer service background, and at least some work experience.

Must be able to pass a 10 year background check.

Must be well groomed, poised, friendly, gracious under pressure.

No visible tattoos (usually above the shoulders, below the elbows, below the knees. No piercings except one in each ear.

Height between 5'2" and 6'2" (generally)

Weight proportionate to height.

Must be willing to relocate to whichever base you are assigned.

Must be flexible about your hours. The first year or several years you will be "on reserve" which means you are on call and never have an assigned schedule.

You could get called with 2 hours notice to report to the airport in uniform ready to leave on a 2,3 or 4 day trip or even longer for the charter airlines.

When airlines open up a period where they are accepting applications, it is usually a for a very short period because they tend to be flooded with applicants.

If you are called for an interview, the last thing the recruiter wants to hear is "I just love people, I love to travel, everyone says I have a good personality, etc."

The airlines are looking for flexible, dependable employees who can contribute to the success of the company. They do not care if you like to travel or not.

Let them know what you can do for them to provide great customer service.

If you don't hear from an airline right away, just keep applying, and be sure to register on the careers website of the airlines so you can be set up to receive job alerts.

If you do not have any customer service background, you could start out at the airline working in reservations, ticketing or gates, and then internally transfer.

That way you can start at your nearest airport.

The pay is not wonderful: you are guaranteed a certain number of hours per month and while on reserve you may only get paid that amount.

Good luck! It is a fun job and it spoils you for having a "regular" job.

Source(s): flight attendant

Are you a flight attendant or do you know one?

Retired flight attendant/flight attendant recruiter (25 years).

Could you tell me about what education you need?

Most airlines prefer at least some college and since the job is so competitive they normally hire those with a college degree. That's not to say that there aren't exceptions but your best chances will come with more education rather than less.

Also, are there height and weight requirements?

Your weight must be in proportion to your height. Most airlines abolished weight restrictions in the 1970's so there is no specific weight for someone 5'9" tall. Remember, you'll represent the airline you work for and they'll want you to look the best you can.

What sort of outfit do you wear (ladies)?

I'll assume you mean to an interview. Consider that flight attendants wear uniforms that are fairly conservative so wearing something relatively conservative would be smart. Actually, it's less about what you wear but rather the way you wear it. Make sure whatever you choose is clean, pressed and flattering to you figure and coloring. A smartly tailored suit and blouse would work well. You'll do better in a skirt than pants. Make sure your hair is clean and styled. If your hair is long consider wearing it pulled back. Your make-up should be subtle and flattering to your complexion. Your grooming should be impeccable. Your nails should look as if you recently had a manicure. Choose a clear polish or subtle color. Keep jewelry simple. No more than one earring in each ear and no other visible piercings or tattoos. Oh, and make sure your shoes are polished.

Is bilingual a necessity?

No, but if you can speak another language well enough to pass a conversational exam you'll have an advantage over those who can't.

Do you enjoy the job?

I did. The airline industry is nothing if not constantly in a state of change so the ability to adapt and flourish in such a climate is essential to the enjoyment of the job. Every time you go to work things will be different. No two passengers and no two flights are alike. There are challenges in any job. You find happiness at work when the advantages outweigh the disadvantages. Just remember why YOU want to work for an airline and as long as those reasons exist you will find enjoyment.

Etc.

There are far more applicants for flight attendant jobs than there are positions to be filled. You have to find a way to make yourself memorable and stand out from the crowd. Study the airline(s) you want to work for. Know their route systems and the type of aircraft in their fleets. Be able to speak knowledgeably about the carrier. If you make it to an interview go prepared. Make a list of questions you think you might be asked and consider how you'll answer each. FYI, most flight attendant applicants say something like "I love to travel and I've always wanted to work for an airline" or "I love working with people". Recruiters have heard these phrases adnaseum. Do some research into the culture of each airline. They are not all the same. Consider the type of flying you'll do at each carrier. Do you want to be home every night? Do you want to fly internationally? Do you prefer to do one or two long flights a day or multiple shorter ones? How senior is the current workforce? Where would you likely be based?

Landing a flight attendant job isn't easy, but it's not impossible. Good luck!

• tiara

If they are charging a cost up entrance, don't move with their application. Airlines honestly pay their flight attendant trainees for flight coaching regardless in the event that they get in or no longer. Trust me, it's going to be a nightmare for those who continue.