Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 9 years ago

What religious books are there?

I am an Atheist, but I thought it would be interesting to study the writings of a different mindset, I already have a bible and a koran (Q'uran?) and I am looking into the torah, does anyone know of any other books? (preferably ones that don't stem from the same writings as the bible, torah, and koran, 'cause those are getting kinda boring.

I'm not looking to convert or anything, I have read the bible before(including new testament) and that didn't stop me from being an atheist

Favorite Answer

There are the Hindu Vedas, the Popul Vol of the Incas, the writings of Confusius...ect. I don't know if those are books that you would be able to get a hold of, but hopefully that will broaden the outlook.

The Quran is the literal words of God. It was not "inspired" by God. Its the Actual words of God. The Quran doesnt begin chapters with "according to 'so-and-so'", rather it speaks directly to you. Islam is not a religion, its a way of life. the Quran can only exist in its original language which is Arabic. There are no versions of the Quran! There are different translations in different languages which are actually called TRANSLATION of the QURAN. So unless you have been reading it in english, you're actually reading a translation of the Quran.

Please read a book about Mohammad so you can get a more clear understanding for the Quran, and read a book written by a muslim. Many people who have biases write books to express their opinion, so it's always better to read from a credible source.

• hmmm

You probably started in the Old Testament of the Bible. Read the book of John in the New Testament.

If you're looking for a more obscure holy text you can try The Book of the Law, which is the main holy text of the religion Thelema. Just be prepared for lots of metaphorical language, take nothing literally.

Also, Liber Oz is a good simple text for understanding the philosophy behind this religion. Freedom of the individual.

The Book of Mormon

The Pearl of Great Price

The Doctrine and Covenants

http://lds.org/scriptures?lang=eng

Conversations With God "an uncommon dialogue"

By Donald Walsh has been a life changing book for me. He wrote 3 start with book 1 if you wish

Two babylons by alexander hissop is a history of religious beliefs that dispels a lot of what churches teaches but it also explains how things like the crown, missile toe, and other traditions churches teach as fact that are not true

Source(s): two bablons by alexander hissop
  • Andrew

The Doctrine and Covenants

The Pearl of Great Price

The Book of Mormon

These books come from the LDS church, which I follow. (That's The Mormon church, to some people.) This set of books can be purchased in one set if you find the right kind.

Read "Prison to Praise" by Merlin Carothers. Its a real life story. Do you like real life stories? Hope the truth comes to you before it is too late. Jesus is the way.

• CEM

Stay away from religion and stick with the Bible the Word of God