What is the deal with the Mormon underwear?

What is it's purpose? Do they ever take it off? I was told they even shower with it on? Do they take it off when they have sex only? How old are they when they start wearing this underwear? Do all Mormons do this or just some of the more traditional Mormons?

14 Answers

Relevance
  • Nous
    Lv 7
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Do Christians have to wear silly underwear to go to church?

Do Christians have to avoid various foods and drinks?

Do Christians have to prove they are fervent believers before they are allowed into church?

Do Christians have to ban anyone from entering church that is not totally committed?

Do Christians act as if their religion is some sort of secret society by banning non members from their churches?

Do Christians believe they will become gods?

Compare the bible and christian beliefs with the mormon book and beliefs and it is as plain as day that mormons only claim to be christian because they are afraid to stand up as an entirely separate religion!

• 9 years ago

Like others have said, there are a few Mormon sects that wear garments; primarily the Salt Lake City-based LDS church and some polygamous offshoots. Originally, the practice of polygamy was a closely guarded secret, and the garments were introduced by Joseph Smith partly as a means of identifying persons who were either polygamous or who knew about and supported the principle. Eventually, the practice of polygamy came to an end outside of the temple for the Salt Lake City church, and thus the idea that garments provided spiritual protection and helped remind people of their covenants came into existence. There's a lot of folklore and anecdotal stories floating around the church about garments providing physical protection, but I would guess most people in the church don't believe garments would stop a bullet no matter how faithful one is.

The garment was originally some masonic symbols sewn into a pair of longjohns. Starting in 1923, the Salt Lake City church, under the direction of President Heber J. Grant, allowed the modification of the garment design to accommodate more modern forms of clothing. The garments for men and women are currently two piece separates, with the top for men basically just a regular white t-shirt, while the women's top is a camisole style with cap sleeves. The bottoms for both resemble a pair of boxer shorts with slightly longer legs. They come in any color you like as long as it's white, although I hear military members can get a special exemption to wear camouflage.

As for when garments are to be worn, we're instructed to wear them day and night, although we don't actually make a covenant to wear them even though there's a common misconception among members that we do. As for exercising, occasionally I see people at the gym where I work out wearing garments under their exercise wear. These are almost always older people (65+), and I suspect it's a generational thing.

The idea that we're supposed to wear garments during sex is another misconception, although it's been promoted time and again by some extremely conservative church members. Back in the days before the garments became two-piece (around the late 70s/early 80s), it was possible to have sex in garments because both the male and female one-piece garments had a "trap door" that allowed for bodily functions. Nowadays, it'd be just about impossible for a woman to have sex wearing both pieces because the women's garment bottom doesn't have a fly, although one woman I know claims she wears her husband's garment bottoms during intercourse in order to provide access. I've never seen them have sex (thank God!) so I don't know if this is true or not.

Source(s): Lifelong LDS, mormonthink.com, mormon-underwear.com, Ogden Standard Examiner article
  • 9 years ago

They believe it is a protection from evil and it helps them remember covenants they made in their temples.

They can take it off to swim or take a shower, but that's pretty much it.

Some Mormons like to have sex wearing it, but I'm not sure how common that is.

They get it once they go to their temple for the first time.

All active Mormons who have been inside a Mormon temple was supposed to always wear them. Not wearing them is considered very serious because they promise in the Mormon temples to always wear them.

http://www.ldsendowment.org/initiatory.html

Source(s): ex-Mormon, had to wear the underwear..
  • Ammon
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

Temple Garments are worn because in Heaven there are Heavenly clothes that are worn. Those in Heaven wear a robe, like the ancient Greeks used to wear, and also the Jews anciently used to wear a robe when they lived in Judea, that is similar to what is worn in Heaven.

Temple Garments are a reminder of that, and also they are also a reminder to always be the best Christian that a member of THE Church Of JESUS CHRIST Of Latter Day Saints can be in this life.

The more a Latter Day Saint can keep the commandments of Jesus Christ, the better. And by so doing they can remain Temple Worthy for all eternal time, and even progress to the point, where they connect completely to Christ and to Christ's majestic eternal purposes.

http://www.mormon.org/ has a chat feature, and a representative of THE Church Of JESUS CHRIST Of Latter Day Saint would be more than happy to fill in any blanks on this question or any other question that you may happen to have in the future, about THE Church Of JESUS CHRIST Of Latter Day Saints.

God bless.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

Temple garment (also referred to as garments, or Mormon underwear)[1] is a type of underwear worn by members of some denominations of the Latter Day Saint movement, after they have taken part in the Endowment ceremony. Garments are worn both day and night and are required for any previously endowed adult to enter a church temple.[2] The undergarments are viewed as a symbolic reminder of the covenants made in temple ceremonies, and are viewed as either a symbolic or literal source of protection from the evils of the world.[3]

The garment is given as part of the washing and anointing portion of the endowment. Today, the temple garment is worn primarily by members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church) and by members of some Mormon fundamentalist churches. Adherents consider them to be sacred and not suitable for public display. Anti-Mormon activists have occasionally publicly displayed or defaced temple garments to show their opposition to the LDS Church

• 9 years ago

Garments are part of several sects of Mormonism. The largest sect, the LDS church, asks their members to wear them as underwear. You have to buy them from the church. They come in several fabrics and sizes, but only one style.

Originally in the church, people did claim they would protect you. I grew up with stories like that. But it was part of the folklore and culture, not actually doctrine. It is no longer discussed, and clearly garments protect no one.

They take them off, they are just like normal underwear. They aren't worn for sports or showers. Growing up my parents wore them, so they were just part of the normal family laundry.

There are special rules about disposing of them, but that's about it. Since they are part of the LDS temple ceremony, Mormons won't talk about them.

In order to wear them, you have to have been through a special temple ceremony called 'endowment' where you make a bunch of promises to give all you own to the church, etc. This is normally done just before your temple wedding, or just before you go on a 2 year mission. You have to be 19 for that.

To be allowed into the temple, you have to pay tithing to the church for a year at least. Otherwise, no temple blessings allowed! Not very Christian, but there you go. Your non Mormon friends and family can't attend your temple wedding, either, nor any 'unworthy' Mormons, nor any children. Family friendly?

You can see what garments look like by googling images for 'lds garments':

http://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&hl=en&source...

It's just an undershirt and shorts, white unless you are in the army, then camo. It has some Masonic symbols sewn it, 3 of them.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

After one goes through the Temple Endowment ceremony, they wear the "garments" to remind them of the covenants made in the Temple. Temple Endowment can be at any age. 19 year old males will do it before they go on a mission, couples who haven't been to the temple before will take out their endowments before temple marriage.

No, they don't shower with them.

Temple endowed, faithful LDS wear the garments.

Source(s): Former Mormon who used to wear 'em.
  • 9 years ago

When an LDS gets their endowment in the temple, they receive special garments to remind us of the sacred covenants we made with God. We wear these garments under our regular clothing.

They can be removed to bathe, to play sports, and for married couples to have relations.

I think you have to be at least 18.

• henery
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Mormons placed on longer underclothes (the bottoms come to top above the knees and the suitable section covers the excellent midriff and shoulder). They placed on them to help remind them to placed on modest clothing that does no longer show the tummy, too a lot cleavage, is purely too short, etc. in addition they placed on it to remind them of a sacred covenant they carry out in the temple. regardless of the undeniable fact that this covenant isn't many times achieved till the guy is eighteen or older (so multiple Mormons haven't any "magic underclothes" via fact there are a number of contributors are no longer adults). i do no longer think of you're no longer required to placed on the clothing once you have had this covenant achieved... yet maximum folk choose to. they are no longer "magical" by using any potential. i like Gumby's assessment of the clothing to that of the bypass; they're purely issues human beings placed directly to remind them of their faith. Mormons are not the only ones who placed on "specific" clothing; some Jewish adult males placed on specific clothing (i won't be in a position to bear in mind precisely what it incredibly is talked approximately as, forgive me... it incredibly is a few gown looking element they placed on decrease than their clothing nonetheless and that i think of it has tassels on it), some Muslims placed on specific clothing, etc.

• 9 years ago

What about YOUR underwear? Can we talk about that for a bit?

Many religions today, including Jewish, Catholic, Anglican, Protestant, etc., Why don't we talk about a Catholic Nun's habit? Or a Jew's Yarmulke? Or a Catholic's rosary? A clerical collar?

Why make such a deal out of underwear?

Please go and see mormon.org or even www.mormon-underwear.com

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.