What is a quote from the book, "The golden compass", that is offensive to christians/catholics?

Favorite Answer

A quote from the author, Phillip Pullman:

“I’ve been surprised by how little criticism I’ve got. Harry Potter’s been taking all the flak. I’m a great fan of J.K. Rowling, but the people—mainly from America’s Bible Belt—who complain that Harry Potter promotes Satanism or witchcraft obviously haven’t got enough in their lives. Meanwhile, I’ve been flying under the radar, saying things that are far more subversive than anything poor old Harry has said. My books are about killing God.” http://www.snopes.com/politics/religion/compass.as...

The author Peter Pullman (who is an Atheist) made the Catholic Church the bad guy in the book and its sequels.

You might want to read Pete Vere and Sandra Miesel's book "The Pied Piper of Atheism: Philip Pullman and Children's Fantasy."

From the Introduction by Carl E. Olson: British author Philip Pullman is widely acclaimed by critics and readers for his best-selling, award-winning trilogy, His Dark Materials. But he has been criticized by some for attacking Christianity and promoting atheism. What is the truth about Pullman and his books? What does he believe about God, religion, the Catholic Church, and atheism? What does he hope his books will accomplish? Why does he express such strong disdain for the fiction of C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien?

http://www.ignatius.com/atheismforchildren/index.a...

http://www.ignatius.com/ViewProduct.aspx?SID=1&Pro...

With love in Christ.

out of the three books in that series The Golden Compass is the most subtle in its anti-religion opinions, and it's not so much that the book is full of anti-religion quotes but the "bad guys" in Lyra's world are set up to resemble the Roman Catholic Church of the past. the books strike me as being more anti-organized religion than really anti-god or anything like that, and it's more like focusing on how organized religions can make people do awful things to defend their beliefs.... well this is probably unhelpful to you but that's what i get out of it. if you want more of an anti-religion quote from the series look in the Amber Spyglass

• bae

you nevertheless have confidence in that evolution element? i will wager you think of the earth is thousands and thousands of years old too. the answer to all of those questions is so obtrusive, one wonders on the subject of the intelligence of people who don't get it. contemplate on that pigeon's potential to fly, and it somewhat is optimal feathers, and then ask your self how that would have exceeded off randomly. It does not make any sense, does it? Then think of on the subject of the actuality that there is in basic terms the final quantity of oxygen in the air for all living creatures to breath. How might desire to that ensue by threat? what's at the back of all of it? "mom Nature"? what's mom Nature?

I think you've missed the point. It's the premise that some Christians find offensive, not individual quotes.

• Raatz

Golden Compass is really subtle-- it's the others where it becomes more prominent and it's NOT just anti-organized religion. They kill God, literally.

why do you seek to offend people? i'm worried about your soul now. I'd pray for you...

.

.

.

.

.

.

if I gave a damn.