tips for new mangaka's?

I'm trying to make a manga, but I have no idea where to start! I need to know what kind of paper to use, what types of pens and pencils are best, how to tone and screen it, and how to get it published. If anyone can give me this info, a website that has this info, or a book with it that would be awesome! Also any other tips would help.

(I already know how to draw it, I just need to know these things. Please don't give me tips on how to draw manga!)

Favorite Answer

The types of materials you use are all up to you! There is no particular brand or type that you need. Find materials that you feel comfortable with. I use regular Staedtler pencils on copy or bristol paper, scan it in, and ink/color and fix it up in photoshop. That's just my personal preference.

Other authors will use higher quality smooth Bristol paper and pen & ink. You're free to tone it by hand if you prefer, but keep in mind that tones are expensive. I find it pretty easy to do all that on the computer, and it saves me money!

There are several ways to publish your manga. I'd recommend these self-publishing sites, as I have seen authors/artists print their work from them (I've never used either, but have seriously considered Ka-Blam):

http://ka-blam.com/printing/front/

http://www.comixpress.com/

Many artists also make their books by hand. Printing out your work, and stapling or binding it together with a thicker cover paper will work really well. I've seen independent artists do this and they look amazing! This is also the cheapest method next to digital downloads (e-books).

You can also try and publish e-books (Ka-Blam will sell digital downloads where you make about 60% profit, which is really really good!), which is much more cost effective and easier to sell. But for printed books, you can sell them at anime conventions and try to go to smaller/local bookstores to see if they will carry your manga. Promotion is key to selling your work, so make sure that once you have the book ready, go onto forums and comics sites to tell people about your work.

If you've never published before, don't be too ambitious with a 200 page comic. Start with 16 or even up to 30 page story. Trust me, it will be easier to finish your first manga, and you will feel a sense of accomplishment. :)

And even if you already know how to draw, it never hurts to keep on learning. I've been studying art for many years, and am still learning new and awesome techniques and tips. Check out what other people are doing with their art and comics. This is a good way to see what sells and what's popular.

Good luck!

Source(s): I'm an Illustrator.

Being good at art is, of course, a must. Aside from that you should learn about the Japanese language and culture, if you can't get a Japanese course in school find Japanese for Dummies and such on the internet and watch a lot of anime. Perhaps visit Japan a few times. I live in Canada so I don't know what A levels and GCSEs are. For university I recommend going to a university in Japan that specializes in manga and anime. If you can't an art school is good enough. The important thing is you can draw and write good plots. Do a lot of practice manuscripts before you get to the real thing. Good luck!