Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 9 years ago

my dog broke out in hives?

what can i do

Update:

she is a female pit 3 years old and all the sudden she is covered in big bumps poor girl what can i do?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Jenny
    Lv 5
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

The best thing you can do is to give her a bath. Hives are usually caused by something in the environment. A bath will wash off the allergen. Talk to your vet about giving an antihistamine like benedryl. And try to figure out what is causing it so you can avoid it. My dog gets hives from laundry detergent.

• 9 years ago

One of my dogs had the same problem. She got into something in the woods and was covered in hive, the poor thing. She wasn't having any breathing issues and was acting normal. I headed to the store to buy some Benadryl, as suggested by others, and by the time I got home, the hives had went down quite considerably. I didn't end up giving her anything for it, I just kept an eye on her.

• 9 years ago

Hives usually indicate some sort of allergic reaction, if you can get in touch with the vet and see what you can do, or take the dog there soon she'll probably be fine

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Try Benadryl. 25 mg for 25 lb dog, 50 mg for 50+lb dog, per many vets. But benadryl only with nothing else added (*diphenhydramine sshould be only ingred.) You can start with 25 mg and see what happens first.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

My golden retriever had the same thing happen. We gave him a bath in special oatmeal shampoo from the bet store. It seemed to help at first but then it got worse and he wouldn't leave the bumps alone. We then had to take him to the vet where they gave us a special shampoo and formula to spray on the irritated areas. Hopefully the oatmeal bath will sooth and clear it up, vet bills are so costly!

Good lucK!!

• 9 years ago

try a benadryl. canine dosage info is available online....might need a vet visit tomorrow.

• monkey
    Lv 4
    9 years ago

Take her to the vet!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.