syd
syd asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 9 years ago

Is what he's doing illegal?

Is what my dad doing illegal?

I've been kicked out of my grandma's house, which he lives in as well, and have lived in friends houses and yada yada yada, and he collects money off of me, welfare and foodstamps and stuff.

And he claims that the money isn't able to be used by me.

I'm pretty sure he gets it because of me, and it's for my needs and stuff.

But he just spends it on himself and his truck.

He also uses our food stamps to pay rent to his mother.

Besides, I'm pretty sure if I'm not living with him, he's not supposed to be getting it anyways?

I moved back in the beginning of the school year.

But he continues to hoard his money.

Is it illegal?

What kind of action could I take?

Favorite Answer

What he's doing is illegal in so many ways. Call the welfare hotline and report him. You can do it anonymously.

In essence, yes. Whether you are there or not, welfare is to help people pay for the basic necessities, not all the bells and whistles. If he is using it to say, add a stereo system, then it is very much illegal. The fact that you are there and he is not using it to support you is considered welfare fraud. But proving these things can be difficult. For example, as long as you have a roof over your head, have clothes on your back, and have food on the table, then technically you are being cared for. Welfare is not to buy you a brand new laptop or iPod. If this is a concern you need to contact the welfare agency in your state. A simple trip to the state website can help you find contact info.

You need to report him to the department of social services (food stamps, assistance, etc).

It is illegal.

If you're a minor or you're on disability, then yes, what he is doing is very much illegal.

yes it is