Dr Jekyll and mr Hyde analysis help?

Hello I am trying to write a literary analysis and can not think of anything. I believe I want to do it on the theme of Reputation, but I am trouble putting the theme into a thesis statement. Also I am having much trouble thinking of examples of this theme. I could really use some help!

Favorite Answer

I believe that reputation is only a subcategory in the main point in the novel. The main point is duality. In each of us there are two natures. If this primitive duality of man - good and evil - could be housed in separate identities, life would be relieved of all that is unbearable. It is the curse of mankind that these polar twins should be constantly struggling. In other words, each of us is the embodiment of two distinct and opposing forces - good and evil - each fighting for supremacy inside us. If we could separate these two forces, we could control and ultimately eliminate all evil from mankind. Henry Jekyll's experiments have convinced him that the day is not far off when this separation will be possible. To achieve it, he needed to be allowed to try his formula on a living human being. etc.

Source(s): My point of view.