In Illinois, is it possible to legally break a lease due to roommate issues?

I do not want to go into too much detail because I would be explaining all day....but is there a way to terminate a lease due to extreme roommate issues? It has reached the point where there is police involvement, threats being made to me and my stuff, and ultimately it is just an unsafe environment for me to be living in. I am terrified to go to sleep at night because I do not know what will happen to me or my stuff. I pile things in front of the door at night to keep it secure because the door does not lock. I spoke to the landlord and all she told me was that she would assist me in trying to find common ground with my roommate because we are stuck together until August. She says the only way out of it is to find a sub letter. I feel like there should be some other way out of the lease due to safety issues. I am trying to find a sub letter but no luck yet. Does anyone know of any legal options I may have to terminate the lease??

Favorite Answer

NO. That is not legal grounds to break the lease in any state I am aware of. I'm sorry the situation has gotten so bad but that has no legal bering on your agreement with the landlord.

The only possibility is if you can get a restraining order on the roommate. Then they could be forced to release you in some states.

Source(s): I'm a property manager
  • deb s

I don't think this is a way to just break the lease without it costing you money.

In most States the Landlord can charge you up to 2 months rent and the cost of advertising to get a new tenant if you leave early.

So, if I was in your position I would first get a restraining order against the ex-roommate.

I would send a certified letter to the Landlord explaining the situation and insisting that proper door locks put installed quickly. This is a habitability issue...make sure you use those words. The law says you are entitled to have a habitable place for your rent.. having doors that securely lock is part of that.

Then, look carefully at your lease. How are you and the roommate listed? Does it say:

Tenants are jointly and severably liable for all obligations of this lease. if so the landlord can hold you totally responsible for everything. BUT, it it doesn't use those words then the landlord must hold you BOTH responsible together. So, at most the landlord would only be entitled to half the damages from you (1 month rent and 1/2 cost to advertise).

Probably easier and cheaper to post on craigslist and get a new roommate. Be careful and follow good screening procedures. And, get those locks fixed.

• M W

You are stuck together until August - does that mean you just moved in, assuming you took a 1 year lease. If so, things went to hell right away.

I am always amazed at how these roommate situations go bad so quickly.

Now that the landlord knows about the safety issues, he does have a responsibility to put a secure lock on your bedroom door, and on the bathroom if that is shared.

There is no easy way out of a lease. Even if you got a restraining order and the roommate could not enter the apartment, he/she would not pay their share of the rent. The best thing to do is to convince the roommate to move out and find a new person to share the apartment with.

It's a mess, good luck.

• R P

No. You can only break your lease without recourse if the unit is uninhabitable.

Your issues with your roommate are NOT your landlord's problem. She has already told you what you need to do to. Find a suitable sub-letter.

Source(s): FL landlord

There is no way for you to legally terminate this lease. You have signed along with your roommate, and both of you are legally bound to the lease until it expires. Start looking for a subletter who is acceptable to your landlord. That's your best option.

• Rick B

Of course not. The landlord should not be out the money because of your personal issues.

No, you are able to't smash your hire over the odors of marijuana. although, given which you're suitable next to the interior sight police branch, you may tell somebody there which you scent the aroma of burning marijuana. i'm guessing they could be delighted to check out. using marijuana isn't a landlord difficulty. it is a controversy for the government.