Why do you think Americans have not yet embraced a third party?

With the growing rift between members of the two major US parties as well as the growing distrust of the nation in any of our elected officials on either side, why are we still skittish about voting for a third party candidate?

16 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

In 2012, liberals will think of Bush, then vote for Obama over the Green party candidate because they really don't want another Bush term.

In 2012, conservatives will think of Obama and how much they dislike him, and then vote for the Republican over the libertarian party candidate.

Sadly, the worse both parties get, the more we stick to the main parties.

• R J
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

The last 3 years the lobbyists have donated $3.5 billion a year to the house and senate. that is why nothing is being done. the link below shows the breakdowns. Like the pharmaceutical companies can charge a zillion for a pill and yet sell it to the rest of the world for ten cents on the dollar. Why because their lobbyists have paid the politicians to make sure it happens and the government, the biggest buyer pays that much. It would be better for them to sell the pills at 15% and cut us some slack, but as long as the government pays they don't care and thus everything is sky high costs.

It's like the award of the body scanner contracts, the companies donated about $6 million to the approving committee and got the contracts and then TSA was told to make the passengers miserable and they have. Didn't you wonder why out of the blue TSA was doing it? The contracts were awarded and the body scanners were only in 19 airports. According to some they are useless and once in all airports doubt you will even have to go through them.

The reason some top dogs have called the tea party a bunch of names is because of money. like McCain, almost $500 million in donations, Kerry $400 million, all of Harry Reid's kids and son in laws are lobbyists and even Joe Bidens son has his own firm. So no wonder why they dog cuss the Tea Party.

The old "they will take away your guns" and "they will end abortion' are old and most know it will not happen so they need new stuff. Sadly the golden goose may not make it this time. Can you believe that the FED handed Europe $16 trillion?

http://www.opensecrets.org/lobby/index.php

http://www.opensecrets.org/politicians/summary.php...

We need new people who are not owned by the money. But that same money is powerful enough to buy the media. When oil hit 140 a barell it was not due to demand but because congress had been paid to ease regulations and Goldman and morgan used their media connections to drive it up and suck the life out of us, they almost did. They are doing it again, sadly the oil companies have a monopoly.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Regulators-Firms-man...

So hard for someone to run against these loaded guys. McCain just spent $20 million and he still has $26 million left and boxer blew $26 million for a $170,000 a year job. LOL

• 9 years ago

Because of fear that the independent candidate will split the vote, leading to one's least favorite candidate being elected instead of the lesser of two evils.

Americans don't seem to have the patience to actually build a third party and allow that lesser of two evils to lose an election or two or three.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Because the two political parties have pulled off one of the most amazing marketing feats of all time. They have actually convinced a majority of Americans that not voting for one of them is the same thing as "throwing your vote away". So people vote for the lesser evil or against the other guy, instead of voting for someone they like.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

People as in corporations? The problem is the funding and campaign contributions...The people with the cash don't have any incentive to give their money to a third party. They've been doing great with the two parties so far....

• 9 years ago

Because it splits the vote. We need to change our voting system if we want a third party. Maybe America could accept the alternative vote.

• 9 years ago

Such a polarized environment isn't very hospitable to a third party.

I can only speak for myself, but I don't really vote FOR candidates, I vote against them. I don't like Obama, he's weak corporate puppet, but I'm not going to let a Republican get into office.

• 9 years ago

Because a majority of voters will not vote for that party. This means you will throw away your vote.

Most people are afraid to vote for new parties, because they doubt they can succeed and want to have some choice over who gets elected, even if it isn't their first choice.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

We're too busy bickering with our main opposition to think outside the box. Heaven forbid any of us get confronted with some third point of view.

• 9 years ago

Good question!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let's take the Tea Party for example. It has a great foundational principal. "Taxed Enough Already", yet the lame stream media and leftards have bastardized them and labeled them as the "Reason this country is off track"

Ridiculous I know. Who can disagree with the FACT that we have been taxed enough already?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.