10mm vs .40 and .45 acp?

Is 10mm more similar to .40 or .45?

Favorite Answer

10mm is similar to .357 magnum and .41Magnum. The .40 and 45acp are not in the same ballpark. As stated, the 10mm is the predecessor to the .40. The projectile is the same size. Much like 9mm and 380 or 357 magnum and 38 special. Actually, all those bullets are the same size, but you get my drift.

http://ballistics101.com/10mm.php

10mm Auto is closer to .40 S&W. They are both .40 caliber, but the 10mm Auto has a longer case length. The older loads are full power and have quite a bit of bite. I think they fire at something like 1,300 fps. Correct me if I'm wrong please somebody. It approaches the low end of .41 Magnum, because that's really what it was made for to take that kind of power and adopt it to a semi-automatic pistol. Such as how .357 SIG was designed to mimic .357 Magnum in a semi-automatic pistol.

The older loads were deemed as too powerful, so they put less powder in the cases, and since it was just left to waste, they shortened the case up to the .40 S&W.

.45 ACP moves much slower something like 900 fps.

.45 ACP +P gets to the same energy level as the 10mm Auto.

It really all depends. 10mm Auto and .40 S&W can fit more rounds into a gun since the round is smaller. 10mm Auto costs more and is harder to find. There are less pistols chambered for it. .40 S&W in my opinion is a better choice.

What do I prefer? I like the .45 simply because I love the 1911 and I can handle the recoil from a .45 much easier than the 10 or the .40.

To answer the simple question, mechanically it's nearer a 40S&W but to shoot it feels a lot closer to the 45ACP but with shorter and sharper recoil.

The significant history of the 10mm really starts with the FBI trials, though the round actually originated in 1983 when Norma loaded the rounds for the Bren Ten. One reviewer branded the 10mm as uncontrollable and that was 20 years bad luck for an excellent round. The 10mm Auto won the 1986 FBI trials and was chosen as the issue weapon for the FBI. The 45ACP came a close second. Unfortunately some agents with small hands found the grip size imposed by the 10x25 cartridge difficult to hold and others found the recoil too sharp. S&W saw their chance and shortened and crippled the cartridge to produce the 40S&W. This allowed the grip to be smaller and reduced recoil but also reduced power and capability to the point where the cartridge would have done nothing in the FBI trials. The feds still went for it, convenience over function.

I shoot all three cartridges. The 10mm has a couple of issues, the main one is poor availability. The second is good or bad, full power 10s can reach 750 foot pounds of energy, just under the macimum for a 357 magnum. So a Glock 20 with two reloads will give you 46 rounds. The best 40S&W barely scrape over 500 fpe. If you are looking at hunting or self defense it's difficult to justify giving up 1/3rd of your energy. 45ACP will run over 600fpe which about splits the difference.

What are they like to shoot? Cheap 40S&W gives you a little more recoil than a 9mm, anyone will be comfortable shooting it, my mother is 77 and had no problem with it. Even full power 40S&W are still easy to shoot. The 10mm and 45ACP are much harsher to shoot, I find full power 45s a much more solid shove, the top end 10mm in a G20 is like shooting a moderately powerful 357 Magnum. It is a sharp recoil, but not unpleasant. Many 10mm loads are premium price but just 40s&w power levels, you have to be careful or you get ripped off. I also have a 40S&W barrel for my G20, so I can safely practice with the full power gun and cheap ammo. People shoot 40S&W out of 10mm but you are relying on the extractor to hold the cartridge to the breach which is not a good idea.

If I were hunting I'd go for the 10mm, of these three. If for self defense then I'd always choose the 10mm, but it is too big for many people to conceal. If concealed carry is your thing then a small capacity 45ACP or something like a Glock 23. In the event that you need it you will never notice the recoil. There is a lot to be said for making bigger holes, so I sometimes use a Sig 220 and sometimes the Glock 20.

In the G20 I also have a 9x25 barrel which will run up to nearly 850fpe, but it is exotica, you won't find it in stores.

Source(s): Best part of 20 years shooting all three.
  • cmcvpr

The 10mm is the most powerful of the three. I'd say the .40 S&W and .45 ACP are more similar to each other than the 10mm is to either.

The 10mm is the father of the .40S&W. When they wanted a round the same as the 10mm with less recoil they cut the 10mm case down, put in a little lighter bullet and named it .40 S&W. The a little simplistic but is pretty much how it went.

• TDM

Besides the case length and primer size, the 10mm and .40 S&W are identical. In fact, the same reloading dies used for loading .40 S&W are used for 10mm. The longer case gives the 10mm more powder capacity.

A 10 milla is not a popular round (Hard to find the shells). A 40 cal has a helleval pinch (my Glock 23) My 45 cal.(Glock 30) shoot's real smooth and the recoil is like a 9mm because of the engineering of the larger spring inside the firearm guts.

10mm is a .40 cal. with more power behind it. A .45 cal. is a bigger bullet in diameter but less powerful than a 10mm and more powerful than a .40 cal. Hope this helps.

10 like big round to it like more firepower. But 10mm .40, .45 doees a good job

* .40 *

Source(s): * Run like a Deer.*...................Fly like an Eagle.*~~