Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesVisual ArtsPainting · 9 years ago

What advice would you give an aspiring artist?

I am a college student in my sophomore year. I have always been fond of art ever sense I was small. Even though I was always fascinated by art, I never really got into it until my freshman year. Because I am starting out I have the tendency to doubt the capability of ever being a great artist like Jim Lee, Alex Ross, David Finch. Sometimes I feel like its too late, or I am not succeeding. I do not care about fame and fortune, I just simply want to be a great artist. What advice or words of wisdom would you give me? Please feel free to express yourself and thank you yahoo.

ps: I am a self taught artist with a dream....

Favorite Answer

My advice to you is keep creating art! You said "I do not care about fame and fortune". If that statement is true, then creating art should be about having a hobby that you are good at! Some people have hobbies as playing an instrument, sewing, jewelry making, wood carving, etc., the list goes on and on. Your hobby is creating art. A hobby will bring you joy when life/times get hard, plus if you are good at your hobby, it will bring admirers along the way, whether it is a few admirers or alot of admirers. Keep creating art because it is never to late to have a hobby - something that brings you joy!

In order to progess as an artist, you need to study composition, design, color theory, perspective, light & shade. These subjects are taught in art schools. If you study the information in the following books and put it to practice your artwork will really POP and can stand up with the professional artists! Also, every subject has been painted over and over by many artists, so the only way to stand out as unique and the best is to learn GOOD design/composition and color theory! Arrange your elements in a pleasing composition with a beautiful color scheme. Buy books at Amazon website.

For BEGINNERS, buy these books:

1. Pictorial Composition by Henry Rankin Poore

2. Exploring Color: How To Use And Control Color In Your Painting by Nita Leland

3. Color Choices: Making Color Sense Out Of Color Theory by Stephen Quiller

4. Perspective by William F. Powell

5. Light, Shade, & Shadow by E.L. Koller

Explains how the subject is lighted: Side Lighting, Three Quarter/Conventional Lighting, Frontal/Front Lighting, Top/Overhead Lighting, Back/Rear/Rim Lighting, Diffused Lighting.

6. All the drawing/painting books by Lee Hammond explains light & shade, the 5 values on an object: Cast Shadow, Shadow Edge, Halftone, Reflected Light, Full Light.

For ADVANCED studies, buy these books:

1. Design Basics by David A. Lauer & Stephen Pentak

The 8th edition (published 2011) is expensive but you can buy a USED copy of the 7th edition (published 2007/2008) for alot cheaper.

2. Color Workbook by Becky Koenig

The 3rd edition (published 2009) is expensive but you can buy a USED copy of the 2nd edition (published 2006) for alot cheaper.

3. Interaction Of Color: New Complete Edition by Josef Albers (published 2010)

4. Creative Color by Faber Birren

Buy the book, 2011 Artist's And Graphic Designer's Market by Mary Burzlaff Bostic at Amazon website or check out this book's official website called ArtistsMarketOnline. This book has been in print since 1975 and is considered a complete resource for artists. This book is updated every year to include the current contact and submission information for tons of places, such as greeting card companies, publishers, art fairs, art galleries, and more. It will tell you how and where to sell your artwork.

Buy the book, Legal Guide For The Visual Artist by Tad Crawford at Amazon website (fifth edition, published 2010). This book gives in-depth information on legal issues facing artists such as copyright, artist-gallery relationships, legal forms, contracts, leases, licensing, sales, taxes, how to find professional advisers/attorneys, how to negotiate, and much more!

MARKETING ARTWORK:

Open an account on photo sharing or video sharing websites (YouTube, Flickr, etc.) that gets HIGH volumes of traffic everyday! Post a FEW of your BEST artworks on these sites. The goal is to remain active by posting comments to get more exposure! If you post comments on other people's pictures or videos, they will more than likely check out your account as well. After each comment, type your name, Example: John Doe, Watercolor Artist. Also, use as MANY tags as possible so your photos/videos can be found by alot of people! Use a picture of your BEST ARTWORK as your AVATAR. You can't state that you sell artwork on these sites because they generally don't allow commercialism, so simply type your email or website address under your profile, so people can contact you directly about your artwork.

Do your research and make sure the company is reputable before giving out your personal information!

Upload a high resolution image of your artwork and the company will reproduce the artwork as prints and other items. They will create and ship the items to your customers and pay you when someone buys your items. Some of these websites allow you to sell your original handmade artwork or photographs also.

1. ArtSlant (sell original art also)

2. Artist Rising (sell original art also)

3. Artspan (sell original art also)

4. ArtWanted (sell original art also)

5. ArtyBuzz

6. CafePress

7. DeviantArt

8. DPC Prints

9. Fine Art America (sell original art also)

10. FotoMoto

11. ImageKind (sell original art also)

12. MySoti

13. Pixpa (sell original art also)

14. Qoop

15. Red Bubble

16. Saatchi Online (sell original art also)

17. Society6

18. Zazzle

Ok...Obviously you're open to an opinion and expression. and I'm full of expressions and opinions. I've been an artist.uh...scratch that.....I should probably say "executive creative engineer" instead of artist...the word "artist" almost makes me gag now....anyway I've been doin this coming up on 34 years now. and doing it for a living. I might add that 30 of those years were succesful ones. the last 4 have been really bad because I've lost sight in my left eye. So I'm kinda down on myself. Anyway, This economy sux right now..it's a very hard market at the moment, well....it has been for the last 18 months actually.....normally in an economy like this an artist can look at the oil market and depend on two things....OIL when its up or OIL when it's down....but never OIL when it's in between. Also, the gold market,...when gold is at $350.00 it's a great art market......when gold is at $750.00 art is great.....but not in between and not when gold is at $800.00 and certainly not above. Gold is at $1635.00 or so at the moment.....ART?..down. This isn't saying that there isn't art selling, there is art selling.but not contemporary art...mostly it's local,landscape art from the turn of the century and right after about 1890 to 1930....So..that's the market at the moment and it applies to most states with little variation.

My advice to you is to start looking at what your local area historically has produced as far as art is concerned...find out who was painting what, when and who was famous for what and find out the prices are now for the works that are available in the immediate state. Study the styles and see if you can appreciate some of it, maybe try and copy some of it if you can and find out who's collecting artwork from your area and get to know them...................then make friends with'em!!!!!!. Start painting and paint some more..then paint...when you're tired of painting?...draw,, then paint some more...then show your stuff around. You don't need to sell anything right away but show your stuff and then go paint some more.....keep doing that over and over and over and over....

And that's my advice.

Source(s): R.Morris Patterson

Robert, I hope you take this to heart because I know if you follow my advice you will become a great artist. Paint 100 pictures, paint everything you see until you have 100 pictures. Don't worry about saving materials, don't even think about the materials. Just use what you must to paint 100 pictures. Once you have those done throw them all on a big bonfire and start over. Then you will be an artist.

• Mugdt

Ummmn, i did graffiti for 13 years and then @ the age of 22 i got into fine art painting, i just turned 24 and my art teacher says i learned at an extremely fast rate. Just learn from the classical masters and how their composition acts. Golden mean and how to apply it. Learn some color theory. How to do underpaintings (if you wish to use them). How to mentally "let go" so you can also do abstracts too. How to properly contruct a cradled wood panel. Color searching. How to compose a value pattern. Unification through proportion, shape etc while still maintaining a "conflict." How to construct a focal point. There is sooooo much too art and its rather easy to learn, just do it. I mean if you have the ambition DO NOT LET ANYTHING GET IN YOUR WAY! lol... Study every free second you have... And have confidence in yourself and also get a strict instructor!

Tell her to not stop portray. It is side of who she is and he or she might no longer be the identical with out it. But she additionally needs to be useful. She has to have anything to pay the costs till her artwork profession alternatives up. I am a musician, and the excellent factor that I might inform you to inform her for recommendation is "Don't stop your day activity".