Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentImmigration · 9 years ago

Pros and cons to helping my illegal friend?

So im a girl and a us citizen, my friend is mexican and illegal. He was in the process of getting his papers but he got in a fight and now his dad is not going to help pay for it. We are both high school seniors and 18 and we both want to join the army.

He asked if I would marry him to help him. We talked to my recruiter and he agreed to help us with the process and im enlisting this october. We have all the information we need and his mom has enough to pay for it.

My mom thinks its a stupid idea abd keeps going on about it. I think she is going off of her experiences, (divorced 4 times,). I know what im getting myself into and im ok with it.

Does it seem stupid?

Favorite Answer

military separation is hard on any couple, but doubly so for you if you keep worrying about him getting deported (which he should. - remember, when you enlist, you will take an oath TO UPHOLD the laws of the United States of America - and that includes deporting illegals.)

But maybe Obama will let him join the military and become a citizen. Hopefully he would not put his fellow soldiers at risk by saving his hide first in an effort to become a citizen. <<--- I think that will be a major problem if this "DREAM" Act thing passes.

Source(s): military veteran with deep roots of citizenship
  • KIZE

Marriage will not make him legal since he entered illegally. He can return home before he is 181/2 and apply, after this he is responsible for his own criminal actions. Aiding and abetting any illegal alien is 5 years in jail and a fine of $250,000! Marrying an invader like this can stop your military career quick. It can stop any security checks. Yes it is very stupid since you asked. He will not be legal and will be subject to a ban when caught after 181/2. Listen to your mother, her experiences are telling you this is not a good idea!! If it was so easy and his parents have the money, why isn't he legal, because he cannot get legal if entered illegally!

• Jan

No, you don't know what you are getting yourself into. If he entered the country illegally, he was never in the process of getting his "papers", that is impossible.

Marriage will not make him legal. You can petition for a green card for him if you gt married, but he will have to return to Mexico to have his interview where he will denied and given a 10 year ban on returning.

If he returns to Mexico on his own before he turns 18 1/2, his illegal stay here will not be held against him and he will not face the 10 year penalty. You will have to show you are able to support him for him to get a green card, you will need to be making around $20,000 a year for the affidavit of support.

Your recruiter will say anything to get you to sign on the dotted line.

Yes, it seems very stupid.

You can't help him, even if you were willing to become a convicted felon and spend 5 years in jail for immigration fraud. That would not only bring your recruitment, but your entire career to a screeching halt. You can't help him because an illegal alien cannot apply for Adjustment of Status because he has no status to adjust FROM.

You can't help him. You can marry him, and you both can live in Mexico happily after, but as a member of the U.S. Armed Forces you can't even be married to an illegal alien or you would be discharged faster than you can divorce him.

Source(s): I'm a natural-born German and Swedish citizen and naturalized U.S. citizen. I have an educational background in philosophy and political science and work as a corporate attorney in California. Since I’m an immigrant myself, I’m interested in immigration law in general and issues concerning multiple citizenships in particular.

even if you marry him he is still just an illegal ... he cannot become a legal by marriage ... that is an old myth he cannot become legal while in the US ever

You have no idea what you are doing ...he will just be arrested and deported anytime

he can never join the military

No weapons shouldn't replace into unlawful to the traditional citizen. the main important con to that occuring may be the very shown fact that the main miraculous to undergo hands is specific to us. If we take that lower back removed from the human beings, there'll be extremely some offended human beings. you will finally end up with communities like the NRA and such going at it with the law enforcement officers and the defense force because of the fact they cherish the main miraculous to have the weapons. you will in no way have the potential to get rid of all the weapons from the hands of folk in this united states of america. for this reason yet another con of the full ingredient is that it will reason greater crime. it's going to be form of like the alcohol prohibition lower back interior the day. in case you're making the weapons unlawful, then you certainly will could desire to start taking them from human beings as properly as shutting down all factories interior the states that produce them or block besides for the weapons to return in from in a foreign country. This willl reason the comparable ingredient that befell with the ban of alcohol. Mobs and such will discover techniques of having the weapons and techniques of having them to the common guy. the various mobs will compete against one yet another for the funds. all the comparable ingredient because of the fact the alcohol prohibition. yet another con is that if the government bans the possession of firearms, then human beings in this united states of america will sense hazardous. a huge part of the main miraculous to undergo hands is for our secure practices. whether this is from somebody attempting to wreck us interior the nighttime, or to guard us from the potential of invasion with the aid of some defense force or clandestine rigidity, we sense greater shelter understanding that we've a fashion of individually struggling with lower back if the prospect to ourselves or our kin comes close. As for experts to the region, i don't see any in any respect.

Yes. Get him deported.

• Lisa A

Stupid

Illegal

Fraud

Dangerous

Financially disastrous

Should I go on?

• Bernie

Follow your heart.