Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 9 years ago

if i enlist in the army national guard, what are the odds i'll get killed in iraq or afghanistan?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Just the same as getting into a car and dying in a car accident.

I knew a soldier that came back from Iraqi-stan and then he died in a car accident.

• 9 years ago

It's not dying you have to worry about. If you get posted in Iraq, your gonna be forced to shoot civilians not because you want to or your commander wants you too. It's just that the insurgents are gonna fire from nowhere and to save yourself you have to fire back and sometimes into heavy crowds.

It's not getting killed that the problem...it's coming back with stress disorder because you cant stop thinking about that girl you Accidently killed.

Source(s): friend of a solider
  • 9 years ago

Close to 4,000,000 have been deployed in the past 10 years. About 7000 have died. You have a .00175 chance of getting killed, roughly. I just gathered data from faces of the fallen and such.

• John H
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

My rough calculations, deaths vs number of people who have served in the past 10 years, make your chances about one in five thousand.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

It's not about odds. It's about being aware of your surroundings; that's one of the first things they drill in your head.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.