How do I reduce swelling?

My finger is swollen.

I know I have to apply ice (or an ice pack) to the area.

I also know that I shouldn't keep the ice on the area for longer than 20 minutes.

If after 20 minutes, the swelling only appears to go down a little bit.. do I put the ice on again?

How long do I have to wait before I reapply the ice?

For how long should I have the ice in contact with the area?

Favorite Answer

r.i.c.e

rest

Resting is important immediately after injury for two reasons. First, rest is vital to protect the injured muscle, tendon, ligament or other tissue from further injury. Second, your body needs to rest so it has the energy it needs to heal itself most effectively.

Ice:

Use ice bags, cold packs to provide cold to the injured area. Cold can provide short-term pain relief. It also limits swelling by reducing blood flow to the injured area. Keep in mind, though, that you should never leave ice on an injury for more than 15-20 minutes at a time. Longer exposure can damage your skin. The best rule is to apply cold compresses for 15 minutes And then leave them off for at least 20 minutes.

Compression:

Compression limits swelling, which slows down healing. Some people notice pain relief from compression as well. An easy way to compress the area of the injury is to wrap an ACE bandage over it. If you feel throbbing, or if the wrap just feels too tight, remove the bandage And re-wrap the area so the bandage is a little looser.

Elevation:

Elevating an injury reduces swelling. It's most effective when the injured area is raised above the level of the heart. For example, if you injure an ankle, try lying on your bed with your foot propped on one or two pillows.

After a day or two of R.I.C.E., many sprains, strains or other injuries will begin to heal. But if your pain or swelling does not decrease after 48 hours, make an appointment to see your primary care physician or go to the emergency room, depending upon the severity of your symptoms.

Once the healing process has begun, very light massage may improve the function of forming scar tissue, cut healing time and reduce the possibility of injury recurrence.

Gentle stretching can be begun once all swelling has subsided. Try to work the entire range of motion of the injured joint or muscle, but be extremely careful not to force a stretch, or you risk re-injury to the area. Keep in mind that a stretch should never cause pain.

Heat may be helpful once the injury moves out of the acute phase and swelling and bleeding has stopped. Moist heat will increase blood supply to the damaged area and promote healing.

Finally, after the injury has healed, strengthening exercises can be begun. Start with easy weights and use good form

I would recommend getting a splint to put on your thumb

tap ur finger together with other, till better tap toe toe together with other I would recommend getting a splint to put on your thumb u can get from pharmacy

but get this it great fell on sunday nite got this 100g etofenamate etoflam 5%w[w gel great for sprained

RICE

Rest, Ice, Compression and Elevation

Ice 20 on 20 off if thats to mcuh try 15 on 15 off

I've always heard 20 minutes on, 20 minutes off. Good luck.

Stay with the bloodless, use compression, hold napping at forty five deg, take anti-inflammatories, and discover that jaw surgical procedure is principal and goes to go away you busted up for awhile.