How can I adopt my friends kids?

Me and my best friend are both in the navy and married. His marriage is ending and his wife can't support herself even with his help. Is it possible that I can get full custody of his kids or guardian so he can have them and take care of there needs better than she can on her own. She isn't very responsible either or a healthy stable mother. What are things I can do?

4 Answers

  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

    No you can't. As long as she has the children you certainly have no say in the matter.

    This is an old story--nothing new here.

  • 9 years ago

    The mother would have to give her permission, and she can revoke her permission at any time, pick the kids up and leave. You'd have no legal recourse to stop her.

    If you want it "legal", you need to go to court. Best you can hope for is visitation or partial custody. If the judge awards the father partial custody, he can name you their guardian if he can't be there (during deployment, etc)

    The only other option to raise someone's child is to prove they are an unfit parent. You'd have to prove IN A COURT OF LAW that she is unable to care for the children.

  • 9 years ago

    how kind of you. not?! why the hell would u have to adopt them for him to be able to take care of his kids?! they are his children too. unless ye are a couple? its none of your business really.

  • 9 years ago

    You need permission from their mother.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.