How to drive a standard car??? answer the questions HERE :) please!!?

ok, i know that you shift to first and to the rest gears, you push down the clutch and then shift.

but when you start a car and lets say you want to go reverse, what do you do? when you get to a stop sign or light, do you have to shift all the way to first gear? when your going to park the car, what do you do? do you shift to first gear again or leave it in the gear its in?

i need help with these questions. thanks a lot.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

no you don,t have to do that. say your in 3rd or 4th and you come to a stop and you want to back up all you do is push the clutch in and go to reverse. you don,t have to go to 1st then reverse. parking? it depends if i,am parking up hill or down hill what gear i will leave it in. then i push the parking brake. don,t depend on the clutch to hold it on a hill.

• 9 years ago

From stopped position, you will start in first gear. You don't have to shift all the way down when stopping at lights, if you are slowing down for a stop sign, you can hold clutch until stopped then go to first gear instead of shifting all through gears until you reach first again. Reverse is same way as if you was driving forward as far as the clutch is concerned.

• To reverse, push the clutch put it in reverse then let off, same with all the other gears, and when you go to a stop sign you pretty much stay in the same gear, but when you stop at a light shift to first. It's kind of like riding a motorcycle if you have ever ridden one.

• Poppy
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

LOL----- You start in 1st gear, and on to 5?(4 or 3 depending on trans). When you are stopping, you break until about 7-10 mph and depress the clutch. When stopped go right to 1st. When parking leave it in 1 or R, makes no matter but always the same with the parking break. Send me a private, and we can exchange phone numbers, I have experience and teaching driving too.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

To start and go in reverse, push in clutch (& brake), start car, shift to reverse, ease clutch & give some gas. At stop light, you can usually start in 2nd, but have to give it extra gas so it doesn't kill. Parking, I just leave it in gear, like 1st or 2nd, and use the parking brake. It's easy when you get used to it.

Source(s): Been driving standard for many, many years.
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

You have to gain experiance, you depress the clutch then inconjunction with the gas you lift off the clutch slightly while depressing the gas to move forward or backwards. After you have learned, you'll be moving your legs and feet like a truck driver.

• 9 years ago

When slowing down to stop the easiest would be to put it in neutral and let off the clutch so you dont ride the clutch alot and when your stopped put it in first

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.