How can you train your mind to block unwanted memories or thoughts?

How does one bury a memory for good that they no longer wish to think about?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

That's like being in denial. and you have to trick your mind into thinking that's really not a memory, etc... And not thinking its real, and if you keep telling yourself that, you'll start to believe it. Which kind of makes you sound crazy. But the memory will never be gone for good... You can occupy yourself, and to make you not thinnk about it, and think about other things going on... But one day it's going to hit you again.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

fill it up with better memories - how? Use all 5 of your senses. For ex: if you love traveling and you're on a train: you touch it, see it, say it ("i'm on the train, having so much fun", sense, smell, hear it, etc... you have to purposely block out the memories but saying positive statements, "i will think about things that make me happy" rather than "i don't want to think about that bad experience" bc that will (surprisingly) make you think about it more. the more you restrict yourself, the more it's not gonna work (#1 reason why diets won't work).

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

you shouldn't do that let your mind go through its natural state of thinking! like when im going through ruts with my thinking, i just let them play through my mind, and in a few minutes to a few hours they'll be gone, or however it take for you.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.