The LSA Queen asked in PetsDogs · 9 years ago

my dog has arthritis and I am curious if theres anything I can do about it?

He's had it for a little over a year. He's a 14 year old shiba inu and he's very healthy for his age. I was just curious if there's anything I can do to relieve him of it a bit. His hind legs are very stiff and often shake, I just want to know if there's anything that can help him or if theres any vitamins he should take. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Update:

Nope, he's not overweight. We feed him the right amount and I took him to the vet for a general check up a couple of months ago and his weight is fine, about 24 lbs. I've been told arthritis is a common thing when this breed ages.

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Yes, vets can help with senior problems pets have. Take him in for a wellness check and discuss his arthritis with the vet.

• I had to put down my 16 year old girl last year due to kidney problems but she has been suffering from arthritis for 5 or 6 years and the two things I found that really helped her were feeding her fish oil, and her Nikken dog bed.

My mom has really bad arthritis in her ankle due to breaking it 3 times in her life, she wears Nikken insoles and literally cannot walk the next day if she goes without them. I bought the dog bed for my dog and the difference was awesome... she loved it, and she acted years younger within a week of sleeping in it.

http://www.thepettech.com/nikken_for_pets

• KB
    Lv 4
    9 years ago

My 9 year old American Bulldog has it too....

We've tried glucosamine which did nothing at all but its all the vet will suggest. So we tried a pump bottle of fish oil and other essential oils squirted into the food. It was amazing how much more agile she was after a couple of weeks... The only down side... Dog breath + fish oil = yuck!

• 9 years ago

Try MSM, it is a miracle supplement for Arthritis!! My dogs, Mother & myself all take it daily for Arthritis pain! It is 100% safe, & natural. We buy capsule's at WalMart for $9.00 a bottle, best price we have found.

Also, Glucosamine & Fish Oil helps w/ Arthritis! You can find these at WalMart as well!

Google MSM, to get recommended dose for your dog.

Good Luck hope this helps!!

Source(s): Dog owner 36+ years
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

Exercise, pain meds and fish oil, losing weight.

My vet put my old gal on Tramadol (narcotic pain medication) and Previcox and thought it was a great idea when I said I was giving her the fish oil. Just make sure you use only the oil on her dog food and not try to give her the gelcap.

Source(s): vet
  • A
    Lv 6
    9 years ago

Your vet can prescribe an NSAID for dogs called Rimadyl. Your dog will need a current blood test to make sure his liver values are okay. Rimadyl really works wonderfully.

• 9 years ago

If all his blood testing comes back fine, the Vet can put him on a prescription such as Rimadyl, or any of the others similar to it.

• Labman
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

The vets have several good pain killers. I know Meta Cam helped my one dog a lot.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

if its over weight a little you try to make it lose a little weight that would help a little but a vet should be able to give u something better

• 9 years ago

A vet would normally prescribe a good medication to make sure he isn't in pain.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.