The LSA Queen asked in PetsDogs · 9 years ago

my dog has arthritis and I am curious if theres anything I can do about it?

He's had it for a little over a year. He's a 14 year old shiba inu and he's very healthy for his age. I was just curious if there's anything I can do to relieve him of it a bit. His hind legs are very stiff and often shake, I just want to know if there's anything that can help him or if theres any vitamins he should take. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Nope, he's not overweight. We feed him the right amount and I took him to the vet for a general check up a couple of months ago and his weight is fine, about 24 lbs. I've been told arthritis is a common thing when this breed ages.

Favorite Answer

Yes, vets can help with senior problems pets have. Take him in for a wellness check and discuss his arthritis with the vet.

• I had to put down my 16 year old girl last year due to kidney problems but she has been suffering from arthritis for 5 or 6 years and the two things I found that really helped her were feeding her fish oil, and her Nikken dog bed.

My mom has really bad arthritis in her ankle due to breaking it 3 times in her life, she wears Nikken insoles and literally cannot walk the next day if she goes without them. I bought the dog bed for my dog and the difference was awesome... she loved it, and she acted years younger within a week of sleeping in it.

http://www.thepettech.com/nikken_for_pets

• KB

My 9 year old American Bulldog has it too....

We've tried glucosamine which did nothing at all but its all the vet will suggest. So we tried a pump bottle of fish oil and other essential oils squirted into the food. It was amazing how much more agile she was after a couple of weeks... The only down side... Dog breath + fish oil = yuck!

Try MSM, it is a miracle supplement for Arthritis!! My dogs, Mother & myself all take it daily for Arthritis pain! It is 100% safe, & natural. We buy capsule's at WalMart for $9.00 a bottle, best price we have found.

Also, Glucosamine & Fish Oil helps w/ Arthritis! You can find these at WalMart as well!

Google MSM, to get recommended dose for your dog.

Good Luck hope this helps!!

Source(s): Dog owner 36+ years

Exercise, pain meds and fish oil, losing weight.

My vet put my old gal on Tramadol (narcotic pain medication) and Previcox and thought it was a great idea when I said I was giving her the fish oil. Just make sure you use only the oil on her dog food and not try to give her the gelcap.

Source(s): vet
  • A

Your vet can prescribe an NSAID for dogs called Rimadyl. Your dog will need a current blood test to make sure his liver values are okay. Rimadyl really works wonderfully.

If all his blood testing comes back fine, the Vet can put him on a prescription such as Rimadyl, or any of the others similar to it.

• Labman

The vets have several good pain killers. I know Meta Cam helped my one dog a lot.

if its over weight a little you try to make it lose a little weight that would help a little but a vet should be able to give u something better

A vet would normally prescribe a good medication to make sure he isn't in pain.