promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Great Nigerian Dishes?

I want to make a great Nigerian dish for my boyfriend. Can someone give me a good recipe?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

There is a west african dish that you may be familiar with called gumbo. It is known as Bahian food in Brazil. The Brazilian style is more authentic to the true west african style. Get a package of Shrimp powder, which can be found in many asian stores,( if you can't find it, it is ok), a pound of shrimp, half pound of a firm white fish like cod. a can of okra, one large onion, 2-3 cloves garlic, one large red bell pepper, 3 large roma tomatoes, 2 cans of full fat coconut milk, 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro, 1/4 cup chopped green onions, 2 tbs coriander, 2 tbs spicy paprika,(yes, there are three kinds), 1/4 olive oil. Red pepper powder and salt to taste, and palm nut oil about 3 tbs. and it you like you can add a tbs of chunky peanut butter, Palm nut oil is the hardest to find in the US, which is why it may have been left out of gumbo. Look for it in Asian, arab or southern hispanic food stores. The final dish should be very spicy.

Clean your shrimp, dice your veggies. rinse and drain the okra, In a large pot, heat the olive oil well, then add the cleaned shrimp until just barley pink, remove and set aside. Add your fresh veggies first to the remaining oil, saute until slightly limp.Add Okra dende, (palm-nut oil), and spices, except the cilantro. add 1-2 cups water. let cook for about 15-20 mins. Add shrimp,cilantro and coconut milk. If you want to add peanut butter, this would be the time. cook for another 4-5 mins. Serve over rice. Try the receipt with and without the peanut butter and see how you like it. Be sure that the coconut milk is one of the last things you put in, because it will break down too much if you let it cook a long time. You can look for some canned or jared hot peppers, also found in asian stores on the table so your BF can add more spice as he wishes. Remember, the brighter the pepper, the hotter the tast.

For desert I would serve Tapioca pudding. Tapioca is made from the Cassava root which is something that he may be use to eating. I would not suggest buying the root and trying to clean it yourself. I know many women who live in areas where it is grown and they don't clean it themselves, because if it is not done perfect, the peel is poison. You can buy cassava roots in the frozen food sections under hispanic foods. It works as a substitute for potatoes if you want to make a goat stew for him. If you know how to make beef stew, you know how to make goat stews, just add Cinnamon, nutmeg to your regular spices. Use ghee butter for oil needs. You can make your own ghee, but you can also buy it in Arab stores if you are lucky enough to live in a place that is eclectic. Where do you get goat meat you ask? Go to a muslim butcher shop. That is the only place in the US I have ever found it. you can mail order it too, but it is more expensive. Just get twice as much of it as you would beef because it is a little fatty. If you can find the Goat meat, that will really put a smile on his face. I included a mail order site in case you need it.

Hope that helps.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 4 years ago

Source(s): Modern People Paleo Cookbook : http://PaleoCookbook.raiwi.com/?EwdQ
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

Eggplant Appetizer from Nigeria

Ingredients:

1 eggplant, large

1 teaspoon sesame seed, mashed (use tahini spread)

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 garlic clove, mashed

4 tablespoons lemon juice

2 tablespoons parsley, fresh and finely chopped

Directions:

Bake or steam the eggplant until tender -- about 25 minutes.

Scrape out the soft flesh from the skin. Add the sesame paste to this, the salt, garlic and lemon juice.

Mound on a small dish and sprinkle with parsley. Serve with flatbread.Servings:2-3

http://www.food.com/recipe/eggplant-appetizer-from...

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Nigerian Main Dish Recipes.Nigerian Coconut Shrimp Rice

Ingredients:

1 cup rice

2 coconuts (milk from nuts)

1 lb shrimp

salt and pepper

1/2 cup diced tomato

1/2 cup shredded carrot

Directions:

Cook rice with coconut milk instead of water.

Add the shrimp, salt, and pepper.

At the last minute add the tomatoes and carrots.Servings:4

http://www.food.com/recipe/nigerian-coconut-shrimp...

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Nigerian Desserts Recipes.Shuku Shuku (Nigerian Coconut Balls)

Ingredients:

1 cup unsweetened flaked coconut

1/4 cup caster sugar or 1/4 cup superfine sugar

3 egg yolks

1/2 cup self-raising flour

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

In a medium bowl, mix together the coconut, sugar and egg yolks to form a stiff dough. Squeeze into 1 inch balls, and roll each ball in flour to coat.

Place on a baking sheet, spacing about 2 inches apart.

Bake for 20 minutes in the preheated oven, or until golden.Yield:14 balls

http://www.food.com/recipe/shuku-shuku-nigerian-co...

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.