at what time is the same day in every country?

for example : in australia is is 12 pm and in america it is 8 am but they are on the same day for example 8 august. is there such a thing as every country being on the same day at a certain time (and if there is what is the time) or is it when it is a certain day in a country it has to be another day in another country which has a different time zone? I hope that you understand me!

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

If there is such a time, it only lasts for an unmeasurable instant.

At midnight at the international date line, you might make a case that there was some moment that the date on one side was the same as the date on the other side, making it the same around the entire world.

However, that is sort of an imaginary moment, since time is only measured in discrete units, no matter how fine a measurement you make.

• Login to reply the answers
  • The answer is NO (but should be YES!). If all countries followed the plan of standard time zones as set forth during the International Meridian Conference held in 1884, then there would be one hour during which all the Earth is on the same day. Since most countries do follow the standard plan, there is one hour during which almost all the Earth (perhaps 99%+ of the population) is on the same day at the same time.

The standard time zone structure consists of 24 time zones. These zones are ideally 15° wide in longitude. Greenwich, England is in one of these time zones. The 23 other time zones are related to the Greenwich time zone by the difference between the time in each time zone and the time in Greenwich which is called Universal Coordinated Time. This difference ranges from 12 hours ahead of UCT (UTC+12) in the time zone just west of the International Date Line (IDL) to 11 hours behind UCT (UTC-11) in the time zone just east of the IDL.

There is one hour during which all of these time zones are on the same day: from 11 AM until noon UTC.

Example:

Auckland, New Zealand is in zone UTC+12 and Midway Island is in UTC-11. These time zones border the IDL on the west side and east side respectively. When it is 11:30 PM Monday in Auckland, it is 12:30 AM Monday in Midway. The rest of the Earth is obviously on Monday too - for an hour.

Two things mess this up. One is the choice of some very small countries to use UTC+13 and UTC+14. The other is daylight savings time which causes those in UTC+12 to jump to the next day an hour earlier.

Conclusion: if all countries were in a standard time zone and there was no daylight savings time, all on Earth would be on the same day from 11 AM to noon UTC. Since almost all countries are in a standard time zone, nearly all the Earth is on the same day at the same time for one hour.

Keep in mind that the standard time zones range from UTC+12 to UTC-11 including UTC±0 (the one Greenwich is in). Also, some maps show a UTC-12 zone, but it's the same zone as UTC+12.

• OOPS. Remove the above sentence: "These time zones border the IDL on the west side and east side respectively." The IDL is in the middle of +12.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

Time zones range from GMT -10 to GMT +14, which is a difference of 24 hours, so going on this, there is no time when every country is sharing the same date.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

I agree with Jimmy, only because i know from experience. I have a friend in Thailand and she's exactly 24 hours ahead of me

Source(s): I have a friend in Thailand and i live in New York
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 8 years ago

Play with this to see http://everytimezone.com/

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.