Ally Foxx asked in PetsOther - Pets · 10 years ago

Ferret Parents: Can you give me some tips on care for my new friends?

What are some safe snacks I can give them?

What kind of games can I play with them?

Are cat toys safe for them to play with?

Can they eat cat food, or should I keep them on the special ferret food?

Can they be trained to follow simple commands and do tricks?

I just got my new friends yesterday, and the ferret book I got only covers basic care instructions. Any tips are appreciated! =^.^=

Favorite Answer

Seal off all openings, hide anything made of rubber, and watch your toes! You're thinking about a ferret! Ferrets are fast, playful balls of energy that are constantly on the prowl, and constantly entertaining. Ferrets are very rewarding pets but they require a lot of time, attention, and patience. However, if you're willing to put the time into it, you won't be disappointed.

Housing

Because ferrets are so active, they need a very large cage to accomodate them. There needs to be adequate room to play, eat, drink and defecate. The cage should ideally have tubes or tunnels, and room to run. We recommend using either an XL ferret cage, or a multi-layer cage. You should have a corner litter box in the corner that your ferret usually defecates in, as ferrets are very easily litter trained. For substrate, we suggest using shavings, a corn cob litter or a re-washable blanket or towel. If you do use a blanket or towel, be sure that there are no hanging strings or fraying fabric for your ferret to get tangled in or choke on.

Food and Water

There are a lot of commercial ferret foods on the market, so there are a lot to choose from. Whichever food you decide to use, ensure that the food has a high protein content, as ferrets expel a lot of energy. Some people opt for a high quality, premium kitten food like Nutrience, 8in1, Science Diet, or Inova. Some ferrets will overeat if food is always available, so you may have to remove the food dish at night. You need to have a secured food dish, as ferrets get great pleasure from tipping over and moving everything that isn’t bolted down. You also need to have a secure water bottle, and refill it frequently as ferrets also consume a lot of water during the day. It’s alright to occasionally give your ferret treats, but they should be the exception, not the rule. Ferrets and most other pets will eat nothing but treats if given the choice which is unhealthy and unethical. You should supplement your ferret’s food with Ferretone or another similar product to condition the skin and coat.

Playtime!

Ferrets are one of the most playful animals around, and need lots of toys and activities to keep them entertained. Ferrets need a lot of supervised playtime out of their cage to stay happy and healthy. I emphasize the word supervised, as ferrets should never be left alone outside of their cage. Ferrets can sneak into tiny spaces, leave ‘ferret piles’’ in inappropriate places, hoard away shiny objects, and get stuck in couches, chairs and behind appliances. The best ferret toys are those that are interactive, durable, and safe. Kong dog toys make good ferret chew toys, as they are very difficult to destroy. Believe it or not, some of the better toys for ferrets are those found around the house. Some examples of household ferret toys include:

Paper Bags

Socks

Tennis Balls

Pieces of string

Cat Tails (Much to the dismay of your cat)

Pop Bottles

Boxes

Tubes