The Canadian asked in SportsBaseball · 9 years ago

What moves should the Red Sox make in the off-season?

I'm not making fun of them, this is actually a legit question.....serious. I'm actually wondering what moves they will do.

The Jays haven't **** either but at leats they didn't blow a ten game lead.....

Who would they trade Papelbon for?

I don't know Brittany....that's pushing it.....so far I like the fact the Jays have gone 81-81 considering the shitty bullpen we had. I would rather see the jays finish 81-81 than blow a ten game lead anyday.

What's funny is that in no way does this mock the Red Sox. If I were making fun of them I would have refered to their epic choking tonight (leave out this example)

Good answers so far, they do need to get younger, but should they start dumping contracts?

Favorite Answer

I think the Red Sox has to make a bold move to make up this collapse because this shouldn't happen to them, but they let it happen. Here's the list of thing the Sox should do...

- Resign David Ortiz

Ortiz is looking possibly for another 3-4 year deal, which the Sox must make a priority. He has been the heart and soul of Boston, through thick and thin, and he's the most sought after DH in the market right now, so Boston has to make him a priority.

- Pursue Carlos Beltran

Beltran is one of the top OF in the market. He might not come cheap, but the good news for Boston is that he's not going to get the same deal as he got from the Mets.

- Jacoby Ellsbury

Ellsbury arguably put up a MVP-type season, which is bad news for the Sox as he enters his second arbitration. Unless the Sox can work out a multi-year deal, Ellsbury is looking for a massive pay raise and with Scott Boras as his agent, you can expect a lot more than the $2.4 million he got from last season.

- Release John Lackey

It's going to be a costly move ($45 million for the next three years), but this might be the only option at this point for the Sox in consideration for Lackey. He's gotten worse and he's not going to get better at this point, unless they pull off a miracle trade for lower-tier prospects.

- Pursue C.J. Wilson and Jose Valverde

If the Yankees are pursuing Wilson, expect the Sox to enter the bidding war, even though starting pitching is not their need right now. Daniel Bard is ready to take over the closer role, but Valverde is not out of the question if they don't feel comfortable in having Bard as their closer (you can possibly add Heath Bell to that list).

- Rebuild the bullpen

The offense has been spectacular, but the pitching has been dismal (4.20 ERA), mostly blamed on the depleted bullpen. I think the focus for the Sox has to be the pen and if they can get some quality arm, they can be better.

- Terry Francona?

He's entering the club option and after this collapse, the Sox are leaning toward not keeping him. However, the options for the next manager is thin, so it all depends on what management wants to do.

Don't write off Carl Crawford just yet. Look what happen when Curtis Granderson was a has been in his first year with the Yanks in 2010 and his major turnaround in 2011. Crawford could have a bounce back year as he gets more comfortable in Boston.

Pitching pitching pitching.

Let Vtek retire, hire him as a coach later on. Lavarnway should play as bench catcher. Trade Lowrie along with others for pitching. Get rid of Papelbon and let Bard close. Look for a set up at the right price. See if they can get a solid righty bat cheap, and let Papi go unless he accepts low money or a one year deal. If papi goes, get a 3B man like Chase Headly or Ryan Roberts

They need to get younger. A lot of their older players had injuries. While no one can predict injuries, they are expected.

And Brittney, that is funny considering your team went 2-10 at the start od the season?

Let JD Drew go, sign someone like Josh Willingham (or Coco Crisp!).

Sign a good-but-terribly-expensive SP like Mark Buehrle.

Bid for CJ Wilson and/or Yu Darvish, but don't go crazy; sign them if it works, but don't break the bank is what I mean.

See if they can sign Jose Reyes or Jimmy Rollins.

• ?

They already are paying so much money that I don't see any major pick ups unless they get rid of someone. They aren't signing Fielder, no chance as they already have huge contracts with Gonzalez, Pedroia, and Youk ... and Oritz will be another when they resign him. Ellsbury will also be big money when his contract comes up or he will leave.

• eric

First of all, I think the Red Sox need to find a player they can severely overpay. Then they should look to sign old washed up pitchers (which they can also overpay for) and continue to deplete their farm system.

The Red Sox are the Ray's little bitches.

Sell the team. Move to the Dominican Republic.

It's funny your bashing the Sox when the Blue Jays have been ignored in baseball for awhile

I think its worse to know that on opening day you have no chance for the playoffs than blow a 10 game lead

Jose Reyes, Prince Fielder, add new starters to rotation