Is there a way to fix the Canvas?

A while ago my mom bought a $50(I believe it was on sale) set of 3 Canvas'. The large one is 16"x20" while the 2 small ones are 3"x3" and it also came with 5 brushes, 2 small stands(for the small canvas'), a set of 18 colors of paint, and it also came with 2 small blocks that I'm not entirely sure what to do with. Anyways, it was sitting in my room, which looked like it has been hit by a tornado multiple times, and I just started cleaning it today. I found the set and the large Canvas is stretched out and kind of indented at places. I'm wondering if there is a way to fix this? Make the whole thing flat again. Any help is appreciated!

P.S. It's still wrapped in an individual plastic wrapping and I don't really want to open it until I know what I want to paint on it.

• Cindy
    Best Answer

I've noticed a product at Hobby Lobby to tighten up stretched-out canvases. You might look for that -- I'm sorry I don't remember what it was called, but it was in the same section with the canvases. You may also find that, as you begin to paint, the canvas will straighten out when the paint dries in-between painting sessions.

A suggestion; wait until canvasses are on sale and then buy several cheap, smaller canvases and start painting on them. If you wait until you have a wonderful idea to use on your large canvas, you'll never get started, and if you do, you'll be disappointed because your very first picture didn't turn out the way you wanted it to. If you paint something you like, you can always scale it up for your large canvas. Don't keep putting it off -- painters paint and people who paint enough become good painters. Have fun!

PS: if you find that your paints are somewhat dried out (as they often will be after a while), you can get started with the cheap craft paints if you don't want to spend for a set of more expensive tube acrylics. (I'm guessing your paints are acrylics -- the sets you describe typically are.)

I have a two year old who dents my canvas' all the time.

If the canvas' are stretched already, take them out of the packaging (I know, I know you don't want to.) And place them each on top of a large hardback book (which you've wiped with a dry cloth first, as you mentioned your room was a um... tip), placing the primed (or primed to be, the side you wanna paint on anyways) down. Then place on top, many other heavy books, making sure the bottom most book fits inside the frame if it is a pre-stretched canvas. Then leave for a week or so. It's just like pressing flowers; apply weight and leave for ages.

If you leave them between the books, they'll be safe there until you're ready to paint them, they'll be fine, just as they would be in the plastic wrapping.

Source(s): Have had to do this many a time before.

On this website you should find answer – art knowledge and techniques, artists biography, beautiful art paintings for sale

http://www.oilpaintingfactory.com