What is the difference between Studio monitors and speakers?

I have seen alot of DJ's and in studios have Studio monitors.They are not big but I know alot of DJ's use them. What is the difference between studio monitors and just normal, for example bookshelf speakers? I currently have two bookshelf speakers, same style and size as normal studio monitors. What are the... show more I have seen alot of DJ's and in studios have Studio monitors.They are not big but I know alot of DJ's use them. What is the difference between studio monitors and just normal, for example bookshelf speakers? I currently have two bookshelf speakers, same style and size as normal studio monitors. What are the pros and cons between the two? Should I get monitors? Please help.. thank you
Update: The speakers I currently use have pretty good sound on their own, very good highs and mids.