Supporters of death penalty: Why should punishing the guilty be a bigger priority than saving the innocent?

There are occasions when the jury gets it wrong and an innocent person gets executed.

The death penalty cannot exist without this consequence.

Shouldn't protecting the innocent be a bigger priority than retribution on the guilty?

Update:

@Jim: There's tons of examples of people beign placed on death row and later proved innocent.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_exonerated_de...

Update 3:

here's some examples of death row inmantes found to be wrongfully convicted:

1. David Keaton Florida (Keaton v. State, 273 So.2d 385 (1973)). Convicted 1971.

2. Samuel A. Poole North Carolina (State v. Poole, 203 S.E.2d 786 (N.C. 1974)). Convicted 1973.

3. Wilbert Lee Florida (Pitts v. State 247 So.2d 53 (Fla. 1971), overturned and released by pardon in 1975). Convicted 1963.

4. Freddie Pitts Florida (Pitts v. State 247 So.2d 53 (Fla. 1971), overturned and released by pardon in 1975). Convicted 1965.

5. James Creamer Georgia (Emmett v. Ricketts, 397 F. Supp 1025 (N.D. Ga. 1975)). Convicted 1973.

6. Christopher Spicer North Carolina (State v. Spicer, 204 SE 2d 641 (1974)). Convicted 1973.

7. Thomas Gladish New Mexico. Convicted 1974.

8. Richard Greer New Mexico. Convicted 1974.

9. Ronald Keine New Mexico. Convicted 1974.

10. Clarence Smith New Mexico. Convicted 1974.

11. Delbert Tibbs Florida. Convicted 1974.

12. Earl Charles Georg

Update 4:

@LiberalFascist: I happen to be pro-life, quit changing the subject.

Update 5:

@mnb: My solutio is to ablish capital punishment and sentenced murderers to life in prison.

Update 6:

abolish*

Update 7:

@mn: I can cite a more recent example: Troy Davis, 2011. 3 of the jurors who convicted him said they would not have found him guilty if they had known then what they know now.

Update 8:

@Mark: I actually am against abortion, quit changing the subject.

Update 9:

@Capn: The theory that a death row inmate could win his release from prison and then kill again.............is a very theoretical possibility, but one that's not likely to occur in a srong majority of cases.

Update 10:

Troy Davis was executed even though there was a mountain of doubt that he was actually guilty.

Update 11:

@LiberalFascist: It's not that I think killers deserve to live............but innocent people deserve to live.

and there have been innnocent people being executed.

we should do what's most humane, easy, cost-efficient, and that's to lock them in prison for lfie

Update 12:

@mnb: In the Troy Davis case, 7 of the 9 eyewitnesses recanted.

and 3 of the jurors who convicted him said they regret doing so.

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

They already get 30 years of appeal processes if found guilty.

I get you don't like it, but what is your alternative/ How do we make "protecting the innocent a bigger priority?" You pointed out what you think is a fault, now what is your proposal to do that?

++++++++

Your examples are all from the 1970s. Not the same world anymore, although I do see bell-bottoms occasionally.

+++++++++++

I do not buy the Troy Davis story. If it was that strong of evidence he was innocent, he had multiple appeals. I have not seen anything from a judicial body that has stated, "we were wrong."

So imprisoning people for life for being innocent (in your opinion) is better? How is that really any different? The family is still destroyed, the person's career is still destroyed, their home is gone. A lot die in prison before they get to the actual execution.

++++++++

I also feel a lot more guilty people get off through technicalities in our legal system then people who get a wrong conviction. That is more of a problem in my opinion.

+++++++

In certain interested party's opinions there was a mountain of doubt. Apparently to the appeals process, it was a molehill.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 4 years ago

After studying the entire solutions right here I'd say the dumbest is "might you instead a responsible man or woman pass loose, or an blameless guy performed". Well because we're speakme approximately freeing a assassin again into society then the probabilities of your movements ensuing within the loss of life of an blameless guy are beautiful well. to most sensible that off, the homocide case closure cost country huge is approximately 25%. So for each and every one responsible guy who is going loose you're watching at four inocent lives being taken. What in case your one responsible guy was once "Charles Ng". Look him up and notice for those who consider it's going to be good enough to attend untill the justice procedure unearths him once more. If you had been in jail as an blameless guy and also you would pass loose however you needed to take one virtually responsible man or woman and feature them pass loose with you, might you do it? We attempt to do the correct factor and we have become larger at it however allow's no longer overlook who the responsible are and what harm they motive so long as they're in this earth. How many inmates are killed in jail each and every 12 months through 'Lifers'? How many guards? Is this rather valued at the rate?

• 9 years ago

Absolutely. It is reflective of the puritan hateful trend in the cultures of the US and other countries which practice this abomination. Executing an innocent person contravenes the principle of innocent until proven guilty.

Hope this helps

• I place a higher priority on protecting society from the guilty. How would you feel if a member of your family was raped or murderd by a convicted criminal who escaped from the death penalty and later won his release from prison?

If you really knew how the U.S. justice system works, NOBODY on death row is innocent. You simply don't get on death row for a first offense. A person has to have MANY convictions before the death penalty is even considered.

There is no way that many convictions can all be in error.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Jeff
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

It already is.

In fact, of all the people we've put to death in the past 40 or so years, not ONE of them has been proved to be innocent after the fact...........not a single one.

At the same time, hundreds of innocent people have been killed by murderers who were let go for this or that technicality............it's THEM we should be worried about if you ask me!!!

• Boober
    Lv 6
    9 years ago

The innocent are already being punished, by giving the guilty a free ride for 20+ years.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Because if you really cared about the lives of the innocent, you would be against abortion.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

No one is ever put in jail or put to death for being found innocent.

• 9 years ago

you don't mention the killers and rapist that are set free due to being so called reformed but are really not....only to kill and rape again....WHAT ABOUT THE INNOCENT Victims???

• 9 years ago

Good to see you stopped supporting abortion. So what do you think should happend to moms that kill their kids?

Source(s): So you think killers should live and their victims are ok being dead.
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.