Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Ava asked in TravelCanadaOther - Canada · 10 years ago

Citizenship in Canada after college?

I'm currently a junior in high school and I plan on applying for citizenship in Canada sometime during or after college (I'm american btw). In college I plan on studying to be an accountant and so far my plan is to do 2 years community and 2 years university or 2 years university and 2 years at a Canadian college. My current cumulative gpa is 3.7 and I'm hoping for a 30+ ACT. Basically my main question is to whether or not I should finish college here and then apply for citizenship, or do 2 years of college here and 2 years there to help gain Canadian residence? Also I'd like to know how applying for work will go also? Thanks in advance :)


* I already know I need a degree thats why Im going to college for 4 years to obtain my bachelors, thanks for the response though :)

6 Answers

  • bw022
    Lv 7
    10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

    Well... I recommend you read the Citizenship and Immigration Canada's web site and talk with an immigration lawyer before you start on this process. Immigrating to Canada is not an easy process - even for Americans.

    To start, one applies for permanent residency -- not citizenship. Permanent residency allows you to live and work in Canada permanently. After having permanent residency and living in Canada for three years, only then may you citizenship -- which then allows you to vote and run for public office.

    There are several categories in order to apply for permanent residency -- family sponsorship (i.e. marry a Canadian), investor (have $350k to invest in a Canadian company), provincial nominee (famous artist, world-class athlete, etc.), refugee, etc. The two common classes are skilled workers and experience class.

    Skilled workers (except for a few specific highly in-demand professions such as doctors, nurses, etc.) require that you have a 67 points (based on education, age, language skills, etc.) and a job offer from a Canadian company and one years experience in order to even apply. Only 10,000 skilled worker application are granted each year. Further, Canadian companies require special permission to hire foreign workers and permission is only granted in professions where there is a shortage of Canadian workers. You must also have at least one year's experience in that profession. As 52% of Canadians have university degrees, so even skilled positions are easily filled in Canada. Having graduated a Canadian university would certainly help, but realistically getting an accounting job offer from a Canadian company will not be easy.

    The experience class is the other option. You must complete a four year university degree in Canada in a technical, professional, or managerial degree. After graduation, you may apply for a two year work permit. If you then get at least one years worth of job experience (in that profession) in Canada during those two years, you may apply for permanent residency through the experience class.

    I will also point out that you may not look for a job while in Canada as a visitor or while there under a student visa.

  • Jim B
    Lv 7
    10 years ago

    Time spent in Canada as a International Student, on a Student VISA, does NOT count towards your Permanent Resident status. You are simply in Canada a "student " not a Immigrant. PR comes AFTER you have applied for it and have been granted that status, by the Canadian Government.

    And, as had been said.......... in Canada there are NO Associate degrees. It doesn't exist here. It is an American term with no meaning in Canada.

    You will either get a College Diploma, or a University Degree, depending on what courses you pass, and how many years you attend school, in Canada.

    Jim B


  • 10 years ago

    Degrees in Canada are four years in a university. Community colleges deliver diploma and professional certificates. No such thing in Canada as an associate degree.

    You will need to pay about three times the fees paid by locals as you are an international student. You need to have the first years fees and your keep when you apply for the study visa.

    You will be very limited in how much you can work until you gradiate with a university degree. Then you might get a temporary work visa. Then you apply for Permanent Residence and work for three years to get citizenship.

  • 10 years ago

    Here's the thing.

    We have something called Canadian Experience Class Immigration.

    It's a streamlined process that makes immigration easier for people who went to school in Canada and also worked here while getting their degree(s).

    Qualifying for that requires attending a Canadian college or university on a study permit.

    And also getting a student work permit so you can do some sort of job either on campus or off.

    You'll find details about that here -

    Like someone else pointed out, the costs are higher for foreign students.

    But for Americans, it's still way cheaper than what they'd pay to go to school in the States.

    What I'd recommend is doing all your higher education in Canada.

    That way you get more of the 'Canadian experience' required for that immigration option.

    You can apply US student loans towards attending school here. I know people who have.

    (We're not fussy about where the money comes from so long as tuition gets paid, lol.)

    Hope that helps and best wishes for your future success!

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago

    Very doubtful. To have any hope you need education to degree level and at least 3 years practical experience that Canada requires. You can see the skills required on the Canadian Government website. Also, Canada limits the number of migrants it accepts each year no even if you qualify there is no guarantee that you weill be accepted.

  • Randy
    Lv 7
    10 years ago

    Before you go any further with your plans I suggest strongly that you look through to see if you will even be able to apply to come to Canada. You need to meet certain criteria and from the sounds of your question you will not qualify to immigrate. Student visa perhaps but immigration visa....I can't see it. I'm not trying to discourage you, just trying to help you make an informed decision.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.