Why is it that I can't collect disability when I work for Walmart INC. in Western New York?

****NEW YORK****

I have worked for Walmart over a year and was hospitalized on July 17th and my doctor took me out of work to do physical therapy and rebuild my strength until Novemeber 2nd. My work told me I was not able to collect disability checks because I have not worked enough hours. Is this true or do I deserve disability checks for not having received them since I am out of work?

They also have told me I need to quit my job if I do not come back by October 17th.

PLEASE only serious answers, this is a major concern for me.

Favorite Answer

You said

"I have worked for Walmart over a year "

Here is the thing..It's about how many ACTUAL hours you worked, not length of service

This would depend on whether you were a full time or part time employee most likely. In the State of New York one can collect disability pay. Call the state insurance fund. If you were hurt on the job you would collect Worker's Compensation Benefits.

you can get either SSI or SSD. it doesn't matter if you have never worked a day in your life. if you have never worked, i think you get SSI. the two are different so call your nearest SSA office. they can tell you what you need to do. you can find the nearest office by googleing Social Security Administration. never believe your employer. they are looking out for themselves and not you...and NO, you do not need to quit your job. they have the option of terminating your employment themselves..if they do that, you should talk to a lawyer to see if they were right in doing so.. i'm not sure how long you have to be off work before they can fire you.

Source(s): Social Security Disability recipient.

I really wish I could help you but I don't really know anything about this stuff. I wish you the best!