How come the Jews don't recognise Jesus as the Messiah?

I mean, they were WAITING for him to show up. In Israel (it's not like he was in China or smthng). He even pulled off his grand finale in Jerusalem itself, but the Jews are like 'What Messiah? Messiah? No, he hasn't come yet.'

I mean, they were the ones that were there.

Update:

@No Chance - What do you mean proof, it's common knowledge Jews don't see Christ as a Messiah.

Here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judaism's_view_of_Jes...

Now, who has a 'silly remark', cowboy?

Update 2:

Well, I think Jesus needed a little better PR. Christians, Jews, Muslims, Atheists all have different ideas about him. He needs to lay it out for us to play it out.

Update 3:

I wonder what was the percentage of Jews vs Christians around and after the time of Jesus's death.

Update 4:

@Dr B - The Bar Kochba thing is interesting - will read further about that. It's a pretty cool name, too - 'Bar Kochba'!

Update 5:

Although Wikipedia spells it 'kokhba'

24 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Best Answer

Not all of the Jews rejected Jesus, remember. Almost all of the earliest Christians were Jews.

Most of the Jewish people were looking for a Messiah that would be a conqueror, someone who could throw off Roman rule. There were many would-be Messiahs that had some measure of success in fighting the Romans. Today most of them are forgotten, their names lost to history. Some we know of, like Bar Kochba. None of these fulfilled all of the Messianic prophecies, however.

Prophecy concerning the Messiah does indeed say that he will conquer. Christians understand this to refer to Jesus' return at the end of time. Jews then understood this to mean that he would overthrow the conquerors of Jews. Jews believed in a resurrection, but only at the end of time. They had no expectation of a savior that died and rose again.

One Messianic prophecy concerns the Jewish Temple. The Messiah is to rebuild the Temple. At Jesus' time, the Temple was still standing. Jesus referred to the Temple's coming destruction, but said that he could rebuild the Temple in three days, referring to himself as the residence of God. Bar Kochba came after the destruction of the Temple, and apparently tried to rebuild it, but was unsuccessful.

=====

I've never said this before in my life, and I don't expect to ever say it again: Wikipedia may be right. Go with what it says.

Uh. That hurt to type.

=====

There's a mostly excellent show on the History Channel, "The Naked Archaeologist." While the host is known for twisting things to suit his own agenda and has been criticized for it even by some of the people who appear in his documentaries, there's still a lot that's good about the show. There's one episode in particular about Bar Kochba, titled appropriately enough "The Would-Be Messiah." Look for it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmZ0QNsE6-c

Youtube thumbnail

The host, Simcha Jacabovichi, (and feel free to check Wikipedia for that spelling, too), is Jewish. As such, he gets a little squirrely around Jesus, and some of his assertions are simply false. Take him with a grain of salt.

Still, he likable, and the programs are well done. I really enjoy some of his regular experts that he interviews, like Amnon Ben Tor.

• 8 years ago

Sunshine gives a good, succinct answer.

Basically is boils down to the fact that the Jews had become too reliant on the law that everything became painfully literal to them. If it said the messiah would be "king" in scripture, then by gosh he would be a literal KING. Not just spiritually. Ect....ect.... So they missed Him completely. They looked for a man who would epitomize their law, not alter it. Not say, hey healing on the sabbath...Im OK with that! They were looking for someone who would find the notion of such a thing as abhorrent as they did.

---------------------------------

Look at the scriptures Aravah is posting as "proof":

Deut 6:4 "[4] Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD:"

Isa 44:6 "[6] Thus saith the LORD the King of Israel, and his redeemer the LORD of hosts; I am the first, and I am the last; and beside me there is no God."

Neither of these are any kind of reference that God cannot be a man. So why is he listing them as such?

Numbers 23: [19] God is not a man, that he should lie; neither the son of man, that he should repent: hath he said, and shall he not do it? or hath he spoken, and shall he not make it good?

Here we have scripture actually stating that God isnt a man that can lie or would need repentance. This is stating his nature, not physical makeup. He was born a mortal man, just not like anyone else. He cant sin, He doesnt need repentance.

Where in this scripture can a Jew honestly find a meaning that God cannot be divine, but is only a man??

I could go through all his stated reasons that Jesus "couldnt" be the messiah but it would take forever. The point is, the Jews are just looking for something that God is not. They have created in their minds what he is and missed all the signs pointing to him.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

Reasons Jesus was NOT the Jewish Messiah:

Divine birth/divinity (the Jewish Messiah will NOT be divine. He will be human.) G-d cannot become human: Deuteronomy 6:4, Isaiah 44:6, Hosea 11:9, Ezekiel 28:2, Numbers 23:19

Performing Miracles – the Jewish Messiah will NOT perform miracles but will accomplish them

Taking on the sins of others: no one can take on the sins of others: Deuteronomy 24:16, Exodus 32:30-35, Ezekiel 18:1-4, 20-24; 26-27

Breaking the Sabbath – the Jewish Messiah will be observant.

Sacrificed/Rising from the dead: G-d rejects human sacrifice and blood sacrifice is NOT an absolute requirement for the absolution of sin – Deuteronomy 12:30-31, Jeremiah 19:4-6, Psalm 106:37-38, Ezekiel 16:20, Leviticus 5:11-13, Jonah 3:10, Leviticus 17, Leviticus 5:11-13, Numbers 16:47, Numbers 31:50, Isaiah 6:6-7, Jeremiah 7:22-23, Psalm 51:16-17

Prophecies Unfilled – the Jewish Messiah will accomplish ALL the prophecies in one lifetime.

The Jewish Messiah cannot trace his lineage through Jehoiakim, Jeconiah, or Shealtiel, because this royal line was cursed (I Chronicles 3:15-17, Jeremiah 22:18, 30). But according to Matthew 1:11-12 and Luke 3:27, Jesus was a descendant of Shealtiel

Communion – the ‘last supper’ – No Jew would ever call upon followers and fellow Jews to even symbolically consume blood and flesh. (Leviticus 17)

Jesus is worshiped – the eternal covenant between G-d and Jews is that Jews will worship G-d and only G-d and G-d does not become a man. Numbers 23:19, Hosea 11:9, 1 Samuel 15:29, Job 9:32-33, Ezekiel 28:9, Hosea 4:15, Malachi 3:6

thanks to What Jews Believe website, Mama P and tweaking of my own (Aravah)

# # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # #

The actual prophecies about the Jewish Messiah

* The Sanhedrin will be re-established (Isaiah 1:26)

* Once he is King, leaders of other nations will look to him for guidance. (Isaiah 2:4)

* The whole world will worship the One God of Israel (Isaiah 2:17)

* He will be descended from King David (Isaiah 11:1) via King Solomon (1 Chron. 22:8-10)

* The Moshiach will be a man of this world, an observant Jew with "fear of God" (Isaiah 11:2)

*****In other words - this must all be accomplished in a human lifetime*****

* Evil and tyranny will not be able to stand before his leadership (Isaiah 11:4)

* Knowledge of God will fill the world (Isaiah 11:9)

* He will include and attract people from all cultures and nations (Isaiah 11:10)

* All Israelites will be returned to their homeland (Isaiah 11:12)

* Death will be swallowed up forever (Isaiah 25:8)

* There will be no more hunger or illness, and death will cease (Isaiah 25:8)

* All of the dead will rise again (Isaiah 26:19)

* The Jewish people will experience eternal joy and gladness (Isaiah 51:11)

* He will be a messenger of peace (Isaiah 52:7)

* Nations will end up recognizing the wrongs they did to Israel (Isaiah 52:13-53:5)

* The peoples of the world will turn to the Jews for spiritual guidance (Zechariah 8:23)

* The ruined cities of Israel will be restored (Ezekiel 16:55)

* Weapons of war will be destroyed (Ezekiel 39:9)

* The Temple will be rebuilt (Ezekiel 40) resuming many of the suspended mitzvot

* He will then perfect the entire world to serve God together (Zephaniah 3:9)

* Jews will know the Torah without Study (Jeremiah 31:33)

* He will give you all the desires of your heart (Psalms 37:4)

* He will take the barren land and make it abundant and fruitful (Isaiah 51:3, Amos 9:13-15, Ezekiel 36:29-30, Isaiah 11:6-9).

Thanks to Mark S, myself (Aravah) and Plushy Bear

• metz
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

Politically conversing with the intention to be believed Jesus necessary to be oftentimes happening by making use of maximum human beings of the Sanhedrin and the human beings. This did no longer ensue. in spite of the reality that there exchange into some help interior the Sanhedrin it very small. a number of the leaders did no longer desire to lose their ability. Others had a different thought of who the Messiah exchange into meant to be. With the human beings the help exchange into extra advantageous yet no longer sufficient. Spiritually conversing Jesus did no longer fulfill each and all of the Messianic Prophecies in the time of his life time. some Jews will say that he did no longer fulfill any of the prophecies. that's a sparkling progression on Yahoo. Over a twelve months in the past maximum might say "all". i visit go away it to the reader as to why this transformation in opinion got here approximately.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Angela
    Lv 5
    8 years ago

Jews believe the messiah has yet to come. Christians believe the messiah came in the form of Jesus. While Muslims acknowledge that Jesus existed they believe he was a false prophet and Muhammad was the true messiah. They all believe in the same god which is why I don't understand all the contraversy. If there were no religion their would be one less thing to discriminate against.

• Mike
    Lv 5
    8 years ago

Jews did recognise Jesus as the Messiah. Until Mohammed got active the Middle East was very Christian with Palestine as the cradle of Christianity. Jews who recognised Jesus don't call themselves Jews but instead call themselves Christians. It was just the other ones who didn't.

• 8 years ago

Many of them witnessed his miracles, heard his teachings but it was not enough for them to believe his claim being the Messiah... because they have failed to recognize all the signs and prophesies about the coming Messiah- they didn't realize that the Messiah first came to suffer but on his return, he will be a glorious King. That was their failure- to see that there were two advents of the Messiah. What they were expecting as the first coming of the Messiah is actually what the Christians call the second coming of Jesus Christ.

• M
    Lv 6
    8 years ago

Jesus did not meet their criteria. He did not gather the exiles (in fact most were exiled not long after his death), he did not establish the courts of justice, did not put an end to sin, did not rebuild Jerusalem, did not restore the like of King David, and did not restore temple services. He was not a great military leader. This is what the Jews were looking for, not a passive person who taught love, and did not fulfill any of what they expected from their prophecies.

Basically, he just did not fit into what they expected based on what prophecies they believed in. Even for Christians, it is a stretch to make OT prophecies about the Messiah fit fully with Christianity.

• 1Up
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

When I was a teenager, a Jewish boy asked me, "What do Christians believe?"

An aside; I have to give kudos to this kid's family.

At 15, he had never yet been exposed to proselytizing efforts of Christians.

I told him, "Christians believe that Jesus is the Messiah."

He asked me, "Jesus?" in a tone of voice that was like, 'HIM? Are you SERIOUS?" Then he asked me, "How can Jesus be messiah?"

I told him, "He fulfilled prophecy"

He looked at me like I was mad and said, "But the messianic prophecies aren't about a man. They are about a nation. How can a man fulfill prophecies about a nation?"

I don't remember what I said next, but after whatever inane statement I made, he said, "But the messianic age can only begin when we - Jews, I mean - are gathered to Israel, and we are living at peace, and the temple is rebuilt.

When all of that has happened, a descendant of David will be anointed as king, and the dynasty of David will be restored.

How could Jesus possibly be the first of the restored kings of David?"

That is why Jews don't believe in Jesus.

Not because they feel guilty for a 2000 year-old lynching.

Not because they are hardening their hearts.

They know that Jesus is not the first restored king of the dynasty, because he isn't.

• 8 years ago

For thousands of years before Jesus the Jews studied the Old Testament and they have continued to do so since ......they do not believe Jesus is the messiah because of what they have studied and determined to be the truth.

There were 0% Christians at the time of Jesus death. The Church was not founded for several hundred years after his death.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.