Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 9 years ago

DS: Is it the right time to add another dog to the household?

I'm new to Yahoo! Answers, and I love the advice and opinions people can offer when questions are asked, so I thought I'd ask my second question on here.

Right now I have three Rotties, a male and two females. My male is six years old and is more of a laid back dog, but my youngest Rottie (two years) is very active, which is surprising since I've always known Rottweilers to be more of a "couch potato', but her energy motivates all of the pack to get out for some hard exercise. We will usually rollerblade for an hour everyday, go on hikes, jog, swim, bike, or go through the agility course for about two hours each day. My oldest dog, who is my eight year old female is having a hard time keeping up with all the activity, so I usually take her on an individual, slow paced walk every morning and let her stay by my side or rest inside while my other two Rotties are exercising.

I'm really interested in getting another dog to add to the household, but I don't know if now is the right time. Since I'm involved with the rescue in my area, I sometimes foster dogs until a family is interested in meeting the dog to see if they're an almost perfect match for each other. Right now I'm fostering the two year old female, I know I'm not her real owner, but I sometimes consider her my own dog, which I probably shouldn't, but I love her as much as I do my other two dogs.

After she gets adopted out, I'm considering getting another dog, most likely another Rottie. I'm leaning more towards a puppy rather than an adult, but I'm not 100% sure yet. I've been raised with Rottweilers all my life and they're the only breed I've ever had experience with, besides some of my other relatives' and friends' dogs.

The only thing I'm really worried about is where I'll be getting my dog from. I've always chosen to adopt, but I'd like to purchase my dog from a reputable breeder since I'm very interested in participating in Schutzhund, and I'm thinking that if I buy from a reputable Rottweiler breeder who breeds working quality Rotties my future dog will excel in this sport.

Thank you everyone in advance, and I know this is pretty long. I appreciate every answer given, and I hope you're all having a great day.

Favorite Answer

To me it sounds like if you are ready your dogs are ready. If they are already accepting "strange" adult dogs into their home (the dogs you foster) than of course a puppy will be accepted by your pack as well. My only concern in reading your message is that your 8 year old dog may be to the age where a puppy would make her feel harrassed. Adult dogs tend to make a more seamless transition into a home anytime, but especially when senior dogs are involved. If I was you, I'd be basing most of my decision off of how you think the oldest dog will react. You might want to take her somewhere to meet a few puppies and see how she does with it first. As far as if you are ready....it sounds like you're a wonderful dog owner who is more than capable of adding another pooch to the mix.

I hope that helps!

Source(s): www.shespeaksbark.blogspot.com

I don't see any reason at all why you shouldn't do what you plan to do. You sound like a WONDERFUL Rottie owner! In fact, can I have some of your energy!!!!

I think that if you can make room to foster, you can make room for a puppy and put the energy into making a puppy part of your family/ pack. I think it's great for a puppy to experience the other dogs at different ages, temperament levels and personalities. This is wonderful for their socialization.

If you want to get a dog from a breeder for your goals, go ahead and do it. It's a better reason than I would have just adopting for a family pet. At least you are REALLY active with your dogs! Again, can I have some of that energy? lol

The only thing I see here is the possibility of one less place for a foster for the next several years. But there is nothing saying you have to foster 100% of the time. It's wonderful that you do it, but everyone needs a break and this might just be the perfect time to introduce a new member while everyone is still active and vital.

I want only 2 dogs and already have 2, but I had time to raise a puppy properly so got a puppy. I have a 15 yo German Shepherd/ Collie mix that you can probably imagine won't be around too much longer. I'm so glad that I had the opportunity to take a puppy in while she was still active enough and alive, but yet not as active as my other dog. This gave the opportunity to really socialize him and work him in to our "order".

Go for it! You want to, what do you have to lose?

• jtexas

You have enough rottweilers there for a basketball team!

Well, you didn't exactly articulate your reasons for hesitating. One more dog in your household, is a dog increase of only 20%. That much incremental dog will hardly be noticed.

Now, if you get a puppy it will be a bit more trouble through the housebreaking stage, and you'll need to set aside some quality individual face time with the new pup. Otherwise it'll look to its siblings for direction just about every time you give it a command. But that's really not too much, in exchange for what you'll be getting back, now is it?

First and foremost, welcome to Y!A and hope you have a wonderful stay! Seeing as how you have lots of experience dealing with Rotties, widely known as a difficult breed to handle, you should be able to care for many other dominant and intelligent breeds. If you are interested in caring for a new puppy, and have the time, energy, and willingness to learn, you should go ahead and follow your passion. Best of luck!

Well, isn't 3 or 4 dogs enough? I mean I don't run your home but I would wait a bit until your other dog passes away, it sounds like you are a very good trainer and dog owner though!

If you feel ready, get one. If not, don't.