Christians: Who Are The Gods Referred To At Psalm 82:1,6 If There Is Only One God?

Of course the Bible says there is only one TRUE God. (John 17:3; 1Corinthians 8:6) But it also clearly refers to others as gods: "God stands in the congregation of the mighty; He judges among the gods. . . . . . . I said, “You are gods, And all of you are children of the Most... show more Of course the Bible says there is only one TRUE God. (John 17:3; 1Corinthians 8:6)

But it also clearly refers to others as gods:

"God stands in the congregation of the mighty;
He judges among the gods. . . .
. . . I said, “You are gods,
And all of you are children of the Most High." (Psalm 82:1,6, NKJV)

Who are the gods referred to at Psalm 82:1,6 and why does the TRUE God call them gods?
Update: For those doubting that the original Hebrew actually says 'gods' -- it does! It uses the Hebrew word 'elohim' which literally means 'gods'. Note too, that Jesus himself quoted Psalm 82:6 in refuting the charges of some that he was making himself a god (John 10:33-36). Clearly the text does say 'gods' or Jesus' use... show more For those doubting that the original Hebrew actually says 'gods' -- it does! It uses the Hebrew word 'elohim' which literally means 'gods'. Note too, that Jesus himself quoted Psalm 82:6 in refuting the charges of some that he was making himself a god (John 10:33-36). Clearly the text does say 'gods' or Jesus' use of it in his defense would be meaningless.
Update 2: @BibleChooser: So are you saying that God was calling non-existant beings "gods" and "children of the Most High"? I suggest you read the entire Psalm to get the context. I understand that the term can be applied to an object of worship that is not real. But this doesn't appear to be the case with Psalm 82. Isn't... show more @BibleChooser: So are you saying that God was calling non-existant beings "gods" and "children of the Most High"? I suggest you read the entire Psalm to get the context. I understand that the term can be applied to an object of worship that is not real. But this doesn't appear to be the case with Psalm 82. Isn't there a third meaning/shade of meaning that you have not stated?
Update 3: Why would God say to non-existant deities: "you are gods"? Especially in the light of what he said at Isaiah 44:8?