promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Should the Yankees include AJ Burnett in their playoff rotation?

After yesterday's performance he definetely made it tough for Girardi to choose the third pitcher. I know he hadn't done much to warrant a spot, but going with the hot hand could be the answer. I still believe in AJ and think he can bounce back here towards the end of the season heading into the postseason.

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

It's a close call, but I say no. Nobody has run away with the 3rd spot in the rotation, but based on the season, Burnett really hasn't earned it.

I would pitch Garcia with Hughes and Noesi as long relief. If there's room, you could take Colon for long relief as well and use Hughes for a shorter stint.

I would have AJ pitch a simulated game because there's a good chance I would take him to the ALCS and/or the World Series to pitch game 4, but I wouldn't take him to the division series. If Colon doesn't fit on the roster, I would have them pitch simulated games against each other in preparation for game 4 of the ALCS and use that as a competition for that spot. If they both do well and Garcia doesn't, they can both make the roster and Garcia can stay home.

We've gotten more than our money's worth out of Colon and Garcia and way less than our money's worth out of Burnett and Burnett certainly hasn't been the best this season, but you've got to make the evaluation based on all available information as to who has the best chance in game 3 of the ALDS. It doesn't matter what you expected in the past, you've got to use the past to determine what to expect in the future. As they say in the stock market, I don't care where it was, I care where it's going. In part, that calculation depends on who we play based on the number, but all else being equal, I'm taking Garcia.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 9 years ago

Sometimes I think that AJ loses focus throughout the year with the games not meaning so much to him, but when he gets focused on those big games he seems to throw lights out. I think he is a power pitcher which in the past has proven to be the right choice for the playoffs. So yes I think he should be included.

• Yes he has legitt dominated since augst when he cut his hair 4 runs in 6 innings isnt bad. He dominated boston two times 4 runs in like 13 innings not bad. PLus in 09 he was amazing and the one game he pitched in 10 he was good i think 6 innings 5 runs 3 of them on a 3 run home by the yankee killer bengie molina the ball wasnt even a strike lol...but ya CC.Nova(not many ppl have seen him) and aj experience. Or maybe garcia no colon and no hughes to risky

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

It depends on how good Colon does against the Yankees tomorrow. If he doesn't do good, then I will go with AJ after coming off a good start against the Red Sox. If Colon does good like he has for most of the year, then I would go with Colon in the playoff rotation.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

It is annoying that the Yankees are in such a position that they could leave him off their rotation and be still have a great rotation. Having said that no its not needed and he at times can be clutch. Even out of the pen he would be valuable so they should.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

I think so, he was a key part to the 2009 World Series win for the Yankees.

• 9 years ago

Yes so the Tigers can light him up! No im jk

but yeah i think he made it after how he did yesterday, he looked great. I would be surprised if he wasn't in the rotation.

• 4 years ago

i does not have confidence Burnett to throw the ceremonial first pitch. He has no longer been himself this season. For his sake, i wish he can bounce returned. yet besides the shown fact that, its in comparison to he won't get run help to returned him up.

• 9 years ago

No, I'd say give Nova a chance. Looks like he's going to have a future with NY anyway and the kid can pitch.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

yes

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.