Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenMaintenance & Repairs · 8 years ago

Why does my door keep moving?

I had a new front door fitted. It is a solid wooden fire door in a block of flats. 5 weeks after it was first fitted, it moved in its frame and it was sticking badly in the frame, so I had workmen come out and shave some off so it would not stick anymore. That was 3 and a half months ago. Recently, the door has started hitting the frame again, and I fear that it will get worse and start sticking in the frame again. Why does this keep happening?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Steve
    Lv 4
    8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Some of the information others have already provided has some pointers but I suspect they don't help you very much!

I suggest you start by looking around the door and frame to see if anything about the fitting means the door is moving. Firstly check the frame where it is fitted into the wall. Look to see if there are any gaps or cracks in the paintwork between the wooden frame and the wall. If there is some sign of movement you should see about getting the frame fixed securely. This requires special long bolts that may need fitting by someone who knows what they are doing. It is possible the wall of the building is moving but as you say you live in flats I think this is not likely but look for other signs of cracking in any walls around the door area. If there are signs of cracking then get this looked at because sticking doors certainly can be a sign of structural problems.

If you think the frame is secure then look at the gap around the door when it is closed to see where it is sticking and then look to see if the gap on the opposite side is larger than perhaps it should be. If this is the case it may be that the hinges are not securely screwed in. If this is the case or the gap on the hinge side is larger than a few millimetres you could take the door off of it's hinges and refit. You could possibly deepen the hole the hinges are fitted in so that the gap on the hinge side is reduced giving more space where it is rubbing.

Finally if the frame and hinges are secure then it must be that the door is swelling up. This could be because it is of poor quality or that moisture is getting in where the door was shaved off last time if it was not sealed correctly.

I suggest you get a good carpenter in to check the whole fitting, ensuring that it is fitted properly with a consistent gap on all sides (shaving more off of the door if absolutely needed) and then sealing the door with a good paint or varnish.

I know it can be annoying to have a door that sticks and most likely as the autumn turns into winter and the air becomes damper then it is likely to get worse.

Good Luck,

Steve

• 8 years ago

There could be several reasons. First make sure the hinges are not sprung and that the screws are fully set and tight.

If the new door is heavier than the old one, it may be that the hinges are not strong enough.

If the door swings inward, close the door with you standing inside. Look at the space between the door and frame. If it is even all way around, the doors is probably swelling. Along the top, if it's wider opposite the hinge side but parallel along the sides, the door is sagging. if it is parallel across the top but wider on the edge at the top or bottom, the frame is shifting.

A good wood sealer will prevent swelling.

If the door is sagging, install a cross brace. You can get them at the hardware store.

If the frame is shifting, it could be a structural problem with the building.

Source(s): Been there
  • Anonymous
    6 years ago

Deformities in feet, infections in the lower body parts or in between the nails, injuries and complications in the hips, knees and son on are the prime focus of the chiropodists. The major and the most important duty of a chiropodist is to keep the patient mobile by alleviating feet pain, making him or her aware of common symptoms for these types of injuries and therefore enriching the way he or she lives the life. A chiropodist covers a versatile range of treatment that can take all the organs in the lower body part under consideration. Moreover, they can come up with the necessary help to their patients so that they can stay away from the painstaking diseases like diabetes or arthritis.

• 8 years ago

There is a lot of moisture in the air at the moment due to adverse weather conditions. Most untreated wood will begin to stick or warp in this weather. Try a varnish or other wood protection

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Bazza
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

All timber fluctuates in size according to the ambient moisture levels. You will just have to have it planed again. Inspect the joints closely as sometime these can open which is a sign of a badly constructed door. My bet is moisture absorption.

• 8 years ago

Wood has a tendency to swell as the air has more moisture and to shrink when the air gets dry. It sounds like they didn't acclimate to the temperature in your house.

• 8 years ago

moisture in the air causing the wood door to swell.

• 8 years ago

wood sometimes warps when the air is damp, you keep taking a bit off and you end up with a gap you could limbo under

• 8 years ago

because it is a compasishan door and it is made up of loads of timber it is not a solid peice of wood

• 8 years ago

Could be poor installation, could be the house or part of the structure settling.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.