Is it Spam email or Real?? Please help?

I have received an email about this sick widow who wants to enhiret all her money to someone who will help the orphans and elders. She has asked me to send my ID, passport copy and bank account number. I dont know if this is spam or real emal. please help?? If I do send my information, what are the risks??

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Best Answer

100% scam.

There is no widow dying of cancer, no banker, no barrister, no money and nothing legit in that email.

There is only one scammer trying to steal your hard-earned money by using a fake story, stolen pictures and pretending to be several people, all with free email addresses.

The risks of sending your personal data to a criminal is that the criminal will use your information to pretend to be you and scam others using your name, address, passport copy and try to drain your bank account.

The next email will be from another one of the scammer's fake names and free email addresses pretending to be the "minister/banker/barrister" and will demand you pay for made-up money transfer, document, certificate, stamp and bank fees, in cash, and only by Western Union or moneygram.

Western Union and moneygram do not verify anything on the form the sender fills out, not the name, not the street address, not the country, not even the gender of the receiver, it all means absolutely nothing. The clerk will not bother to check ID and will simply hand off your cash to whomever walks in the door with the MTCN# and question/answer. Neither company will tell the sender who picked up the cash, at what store location or even in what country your money walked out the door. Neither company has any kind of refund policy, money sent is money gone forever.

Now that you have responded to a scammer, you are on his 'potential sucker' list, he will try again to separate you from your cash. He will send you more emails from his other free email addresses using another of his fake names with all kinds of stories of great jobs, lottery winnings, millions in the bank and desperate, lonely, sexy singles. He will sell your email address to all his scamming buddies who will also send you dozens of fake emails all with the exact same goal, you sending them your cash via Western Union or moneygram.

You could post up the email address and the emails themselves that the scammer is using, it will help make your post more googlable for other suspicious potential victims to find when looking for information.

Do you know how to check the header of a received email? If not, you could google for information. Being able to read the header to determine the geographic location an email originated from will help you weed out the most obvious scams and scammers. Then delete and block that scammer. Don't bother to tell him that you know he is a scammer, it isn't worth your effort. He has one job in life, convincing victims to send him their hard-earned cash.

Whenever suspicious or just plain curious, google everything, website addresses, names used, companies mentioned, phone numbers given, all email addresses, even sentences from the emails as you might be unpleasantly surprised at what you find already posted online. You can also post/ask here and every scam-warner-anti-fraud-busting site you can find before taking a chance and losing money to a scammer.

If you google "fake next-of-kin scam", "fraud inheritance bank Western Union scam", "fake dying widow of cancer scam", "fraud romance scammer" or something similar you will find hundreds of posts from victims and near-victims of this type of scam.

• S Sami
    Lv 4
    8 years ago

I think I've received several emails very similar to yours with almost the same story. They are called typical Nigerian Scam as the first scams in this category were from Nigeria.

There is no money and no sick old lady, trust me. The scammer's next step would be to send you another email to ask you for an amount of banking fee (or something like this). The amount of money seems very small comparing to the tempting amount of the money that is going to be transferred. But once you give them the small amount they will either ask for more money or they might disappear.

The other thing that you should have in mind is that they are also capable of stealing your identity and using it for their evil purposes. So, whatever you do, do not give away any kind of personal information. To be more safe, avoid opening any attachment or clicking on any link in these kinds of emails.

The last thing is to report them to the yahoo security team.

Just click on the following link and complete the form:

http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/mail/yahoomail/sp...

• 8 years ago

Of course it's a scam - its a scam to steal your identity and empty your bank account

NO sick widow contacts random people over the internet and I thought everyone knew you NEVER send your ID, passport or bank account to anyone you have never met

With your ID or passport copy, the scammer makes a fake ID/passport in your name but their photo. They walk into any branch of your bank, fill out a withdrawal slip with your account number, walk up to the window, show the teller the fake ID with your name but their photo, and your account is emptied in 60 seconds

The bank won't help you because you did not protect your privacy and gave your details to a complete stranger. The police can't help because they gave you a fake name for the widow and used YOUR name to empty your account

• 8 years ago

Of course, it seems like a clear spam. Nowadays, the spammers using more relevant ideas like this to trap us. Hope you didn't sent any details to them. Just leave the mail matter.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago

You don't get anything for nothing, , it's a scam do not answer do not give personal information.The following sites give more information http://www.scambusters.org/ please answer nothing that you are doubtful about.Good Luck and be careful

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.